[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Exporting PocoMail

Exporting PocoMail

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Exporting PocoMail

Postby lindawing » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:56 pm

I was having a problem with PocoMail earlier today (which is now solved), and I began to think I might want to try to export all my saved e-mails so that if necessary I could go back to Outlook (which I really don't want to do).

All is fine, now, but I'm feeling a bit nervous, and would still like to export everything. I went to export and was surprised to find that you can export addresses (of which I HAVE none, because the IMPORT didn't work time before last--when I had to move my files from one computer to another). I had them backed up and will import them from my .csv file, but for now, I didn't need to EXPORT them.

But there doesn't seem to be a way to export anything else! Why not? Or is there a way that I'm missing.

Please help?

Linda
lindawing
Poco Tourist

Re: Exporting PocoMail

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:19 pm

lindawing wrote:But there doesn't seem to be a way to export anything else! Why not? Or is there a way that I'm missing.
You can always save messages as EML by selecting them. :)

Do have a look here for more information:
- Exporting mail to Outlook
- Migrating from Multiple E-Mail Clients to Poco

Hope that helps Linda. :wink:
Eric

Postby lindawing » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:54 pm

It looks (from those posts) like the best idea would be to export to Eudora files, and then go from there.

However, I couldn't even figure out how to do that. Do you have a thread somewhere that does a step-by-step for that process? I clicked the link in the program's export area that says something like save to a Eudora file, but nothing happened.

I look forward to hearing from you again. Thanks!

Linda
lindawing
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:45 pm

Strange - when I tried it just I exported my entire Inbox to a Eudora file in just a few seconds...and exporting as an "Other RFC822 folder" exports a text file with the entire folder contents.

Did you actually have a local mailbox selected when you tried it?
robin

Postby lindawing » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:41 am

The local mailbox...I'm trying to think...I guess not! I think I just assumed that the WHOLE THING would just be exported, and since it had nothing to export, it didn't know what to do.

I'll give it a try...

Yes! It worked like a charm!

So those files, then, could be imported into Outlook if I wanted to (which I don't, right at the moment--just supposing), right?

Thanks!

Linda
lindawing
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:25 am

lindawing wrote:The local mailbox...I'm trying to think...I guess not! I think I just assumed that the WHOLE THING would just be exported, and since it had nothing to export, it didn't know what to do.
Unfortunately only one mailbox at the time.
It won't export all your mailboxes at once. :?
So those files, then, could be imported into Outlook if I wanted to (which I don't, right at the moment--just supposing), right?
Yes, those exported mailboxes can be easily imported within Outlook. :)
Eric

Postby robin » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:14 pm

How, Eric. I don't see a compatible format in my copy of Outlook 2003 SP2. Or do I need to add a converter that I haven't added?
robin

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:00 am

robin wrote:How, Eric. I don't see a compatible format in my copy of Outlook 2003 SP2.
:oops: Sorry Robin, I meant by it that those exported mailboxes can be easily imported into Eudora. Already tried that before and it works.
From there on you can import Eudora mail into Outlook. :)
Eric

Postby lindawing » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:27 am

Oh Oh!!! I didn't know that! I don't have Eudora!

Is there still a free version out there?

Question--why doesn't PocoMail have a direct converter? That seems strange, since you can directly IMPORT from Outlook!

Linda
lindawing
Poco Tourist

Postby bouncingbuddha » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:37 am

Linda

Eudora is to become free open source sometime this year - which is of no great use to you at the moment! There is software called Aiud4Maio written by Eric Fookes, the chap behind the excellent NteTab Pro text editor, which is a paid for shareware program.

The URL is: http://www.aid4mail.com/

HTH
Regards
Kevin
bouncingbuddha
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:57 am

lindawing wrote:Oh Oh!!! I didn't know that! I don't have Eudora!

There's always a free restricted version and soon Eudora will become Open Source :?:
Question--why doesn't PocoMail have a direct converter? That seems strange, since you can directly IMPORT from Outlook!
You can import directly into Outlook, that's right, but Outlook doesn't support direct import from MBX, which is a standard too. :?
Whether that converter will be integrated into a new version is up to PSI.

As bouncingbuddha suggests Aid4Mail or Mailbag Assistant can help you quicker, if you want to spend some money for it.

Otherwise there isn't an easier route then to go by another email client, which is supported by Outlook. :(
Eric

Postby robin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:30 am

lindawing wrote:Oh Oh!!! I didn't know that! I don't have Eudora!

Linda
Not many people put effort into writing software that lets their users migrate *away* from their products...while as users we would wish that, look at it from PocoMail's point of view (or any other software company). I'm sure that there are exceptions, but I suspect you'll find that they are to do with *sharing* the information not moving away from the application.

Realistically, where is the incentive for Poco Systems to put the effort into writing code so that people can move away from PocoMail?
robin

Postby Tomas » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:20 am

Apart from what Robin says... Given that Poco mailboxes are in the standard format, you can use them with most standard-supporting email clients.

Outlook is one of the special cases. Microsoft is known to prefer their own proprietary formats, and not disclosing them to make it hard for others to convert from/to.

Why Microsoft itself doesn't support import of mbox format (internet emails' standard format)? And why Microsoft doesn't expose their format so that anybody can import from Outlook? That's I think more suitable question here.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby lindawing » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:18 pm

I understand that position--about not wanting people to move away from their programs. On the other hand, I would have more confidence in a program that DID leave me an out, if you know what I mean!

I DON'T want to move out. I like PocoMail very well. However, it does make me a bit uneasy that I could lose everything if, for instance, PocoMail went under or something occurred wherein I could no longer use it (what that situation might be, I don't know, but there are always the "what ifs").

Anyway...Doesn't Outlook EXPRESS use the .mbx standard? I haven't used it in so long that I can't remember. I feel better knowing that I've at least I can export my saved files in a way that SOME other program can recognize. :-)

Linda
lindawing
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:29 pm

Outlook Express doesn't use mbx format, but most other email clients do, or can import. Thus I'd recommend to keep Eudora or Thunderbird as your backup option (in case you don't mind what to use, and are just looking for some backup option).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To