[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco installation freezing

Poco installation freezing

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco installation freezing

Postby airlink » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:29 pm

:(

I have downloaded Poco 4 a few times now and really would like to use it but have trouble with freezing up. I am unable to get out of the programme by clicking X and have to close the programme in the toolbar which then brings up the ...'programme is not responding..
Most of the problems arise when I am using things like tools to change settings etc. Would appreciate help as am anxious to give poco a try.
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi (from another Cheshire-ite :) ).

What video card are you using? There are know issues with nVidia.
What OS and version?
robin

Postby airlink » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi neighbour.. Not sure what you mean by Video Card :oops:
Using Windows XP Home edition Version 5.1 2600 S.Pack 2.
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:47 pm

Right-click "My Computer", choose "Properties", choose the "Hardware" tab in the resulting box, then click on "Device Manager". On the left hand side, click on the + next to Display Adapters. It will list the name of your video card underneath.
robin

Postby airlink » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:56 pm

Thanks, info as follows: NIVDIA GeForce FX 5500.
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:45 am

There is a known problem with nVidia cards as I said - I've experienced it too. There is a fix, but I'll need to access the machine at home to address it.
robin

Postby airlink » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:55 am

thanks Robin. will wait to see if you have anything further. do appreciate your time/effort. don't know much about things but would have thought that if there is a problem with this 'bit' Poco would have been able to overcome it, seems to have been around a long time time this problem with NIVDIA.
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:07 am

Hope Robin won't mind to jump in :lol:, but I found this in a previous topic:
robin wrote:The nVidia drivers have been implicated in the past, please see these articles:

http://www.pocosystems.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2011

http://pocosystems.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=nvidia
(but note that the image that I posted has disappeared :( )

Basically you need to exclude Barca or PocoMail from any management attempts by the nVidia drivers - the application gets marked as disabled in the application control section. But it's so long since I looked at this I can't remember where it is. Something like:

Control Panel -< nView Desktop Manager
check the control for Show Advnaced nView Controls is ticked
-> Application tab
-> Add App..
then add Poco and select management as disabled.
So I hope it wil solve your problem airlink. :wink:

Nvidia is known to cause trouble and not only with Poco. :?
Eric

Postby robin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:55 am

airlink wrote:thanks Robin. will wait to see if you have anything further. do appreciate your time/effort. don't know much about things but would have thought that if there is a problem with this 'bit' Poco would have been able to overcome it, seems to have been around a long time time this problem with NIVDIA.

While I share your sentiment, airlink, sometimes interaction between programs is not that easy to track down. I know that development work is still going on, so it's possible that a fix will be incorporated into the next build.

Eric: thanks that's appreciated and not a problem.
robin

Postby Tomas » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:28 am

I had a user recently able to fix some NVidia related problem by just upgrading the NVidia driver for the latest one. Worth a shot, and if not, having the latest driver never hurts.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby airlink » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:56 am

I appreciate all the help. We may have been successful with the mods to the driver in Nview Desktop Mngr. So far I have carried out various changes without a freeze.
Would appreciate if Tomas could advise how to get a new driver please. If all fails again I will keep in touch with forum to see if problem with NIVDIA is resolved in new build.
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby Tomas » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:33 am

airlink wrote:Would appreciate if Tomas could advise how to get a new driver please.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/drivers.html

maybe there are more places...
best way, if not found above, is to just put a detailed search request into Google or your preferred search engine
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Jim » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:21 am

Tomas wrote:I had a user recently able to fix some NVidia related problem by just upgrading the NVidia driver for the latest one. Worth a shot, and if not, having the latest driver never hurts.

That is pretty much the fix. Thanks.
Jim

Postby airlink » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:04 pm

Jim wrote:
Tomas wrote:I had a user recently able to fix some NVidia related problem by just upgrading the NVidia driver for the latest one. Worth a shot, and if not, having the latest driver never hurts.

That is pretty much the fix. Thanks.

Just to let you know Poco working OK now Device Mng disabled. Have only one programme so far that I use regularly that appears to need it (HP Imaging Zone) at which time have to enable. Have checked for update of my driver which is NVIDIA GForce FX5500 and appears no update needed, not really sure if I uninstall this one and get alternative, which one I need to ensure Poco not adversely affected again. Anyway, many thanks to all who gave advice.
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:05 pm

You can disable it on a program-by-program basis. You'll find the solution in one of the links above.
robin

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To