[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Online Folders (IMAP) and the DELETE key

Online Folders (IMAP) and the DELETE key

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Online Folders (IMAP) and the DELETE key

Postby wickedwizard » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:48 am

OK.... here's my question/dilemma.

I use Online Folders/IMAP exclusively and have my configuration set up within Barca to NOT download messages locally into the local Inbox.

Generally, I've been deleting messages from my online folders by hitting the "D" key, which marks them for deletion and then hitting "Shift D" to delete them off of the server and then "Shift E" to expunge them from Barca. This is and has been working fine.

Trying to simplify things, I added the "Delete" button to my button bar on top and started using that. What the button does is that it very quickly marks the message for deletion and then deletes it from the index of messages of the online folders. I assumed that it deleted them from the server as well, but recently after logging into my webmail from a browser, found all the messages I thought it deleted. They were all marked for deletion there as well, but needed to be purged.

How exactly does the delete button differ from the 3-step process and is there any way to make the delete button mark, delete and expunge at the same time.

Also, if the delete button only marks the messages for deletion, why are they usually deleted from the index with no indication that they still need to be purged and expunged?

Any advice????

Thanks for any help...

Roman
wickedwizard
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:14 am

I've used IMAP for managing spam messages on my mail servers. I usually delete messages with the Delete key. The Shift-E at the end of the session (which doesn't take long - Ctrl-A to select all, Delete to delete them, Shift-E to get rid of them).

The expunge command (which was added at my request in the beta stage) takes care of the fact that a delete command in IMAP - as you correctly note - is only a *marker* to delete. A review of the IMAP specification will show that this is standard behaviour. You will find that the IMAP server will delete the messages itself at some point in the future.

The problem only comes about when you combine IMAP with web mail or POP3. That is why there is no indication: if you stay in the IMAP environment (as you say you usually do) then they are to all intents and purposes deleted.
robin

Postby wickedwizard » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:57 am

Thank you, Robin.... most helpful.

I was not aware that the IMAP mail server eventually automatically deletes marked messages. I learn something new every day! :) I was mostly concerned of old emails accumulating on my providers server and reducing my allotted space, but auto deletion is a great thing. One less thing to think about.

Is there a standard amount of time for this deletion, or does that depend on the providers specs?

Roman
wickedwizard
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:49 pm

My understanding is that it is totally up to the system. You can speculate as well as I as to the triggers that would set off a purge.
robin

Return to Barca Help and How-To