[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Blank email messages

Blank email messages

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Blank email messages

Postby Virtute71 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:49 am

Hi I have Pocomail 3.4.0.2130

Just recently, I've been receiving emails that have blank messages on them. Many of my filters no longer work because they are based on "entire body" searching filters. Now they can't read the body of the message because they appear blank.

However, I can see the body message if I enable "Show Full Headers"

Here is one sample of an email with an invisible message with "Show Full Headers" enabled:

Code: Select all
From <> Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:34:45 -0000
To:        <>
X-Apparently-To: <> via 66.94.235.73; Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:40:27 -0700
X-YahooFilteredBulk: 82.37.210.190
X-Originating-IP: [82.37.210.190]
Authentication-Results: mta217.mail.mud.yahoo.com
  from=gallo.co.za; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 82.37.210.190  (HELO mx1.mail.yahoo.com) (82.37.210.190)
  by mta217.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:40:27 -0700
Received: from mx1.johncom.co.za
        by 82-37-210-190.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk (8.12.3 da nor stuldap/8.12.3) with ESMTP id 2snKVXYIUGlyk
        for <>; Jan, 13 Aug 2006 17:40:11 -0300
Received: from [90.116.6.199]
        by mx1.johncom.co.za with ESMTP (8.9.3/8.9.3) id 8KF7gUAXzTnHC
        for <>; Jan, 13 Aug 2006 17:32:29 -0300
Jaeger-LeCoultre w@tch f0r $? Joke? No, Replica Classics<BR><BR>
<b><a href="http://lwkid.uw0q0shnhpiagucazccshcuu.haplykn.com">http://mjcsta.wy2skcj71r2ciweu1ewu1eew.recocthj.com</a></b><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>The project of w0r]d-view constructi0n requires that one take$ into acc0unt subjective @$ wel1 @$ objective element$. All know]edge, mean1ng and vaIue are subjective and bound to @ cu]ture ins0far a$ they are nece$$arily experienced by c0ncrete, histor1ca1Iy determined subjects. The nature of this situation d0e$ not imply, h0wever, that the 0bjective aspects of a world view are any le$s important. lt is precisely these aspects that are at the b@sis of the possibility of integr@tion. A world view is neither a mere ref1ection on 0bjective reality, nor a pure1y $ubjective c0nstruct1on. Today, the un1ver$e can no longer be examined without taking 1nto account the on
e who observe$ this univer$e. Neverthe]e$s, we th1nk that doubt concerning the poss1b1lity of w0rld-v1ew c0nstructi0n finds its 0rigin to a gre@t extent in the fact th@t s0 much attenti0n is paid to the ro1e of the knowing, eva]uating and @ct1ng subject. As a con$equence, wor]d v1ews are 0ften reduced to the needs and characteristics of the subject. We reject th1s over-accentuati0n of the r0le of the subject because we bel1eve the subject can also learn something @bout itself by regarding @nd $tudy1ng 1tse]f from different external perspectives. The d@nger that the subject w1ll be lost in this proces$ of 0bjectificat1on can be overcome by an 1ntegration of the different per$pectives inv0lved.
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0632-2, 08/10/2006), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Delivery-Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:34:45
Message-Id: <65523635-POCO-85774686@poco.th1.61>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:34:45 -0000
X-Poco-Score-Detail: -2 [%BAYES%=P=0;T=90;BIAS=+20] (%bayes% P=0;T=90;Bias=+20)
X-Poco-Score-Detail: +3 [X-MAILER=] (X-Mailer )
X-Poco-Score-Detail: +2 [FROM=%ADDRESSBOOKS%] (From %addressbooks%)
X-Poco-Scored: +3
Subject: If you want the most stylish watch - choose Omega!
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1251"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Poco-UID: 24168463
X-Poco-Status: R
X-Account: <>

With just regular view with "Show Short Headers" enabled, it just shows this:

Code: Select all
Subject:If you want the most stylish watch - choose Omega!
Date:Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:34:45 -0000
To:<>

Any help would be great!

~ Removed email addresses to prevent harvesting by spambots ... Eric ~
Virtute71
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Blank email messages

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:41 pm

Hi Virtute71 & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
Virtute71 wrote:Any help would be great!
Have a look at Yahoo Group emails not rendering correctly. :wink:
Eric

Postby Virtute71 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:30 am

Hi Eric,

I'm receiving junk mails that have no messages only to seen when Show Full Headers are on.
I do receive messages from Yahoo groups but I have no problems with those.
Virtute71
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:41 am

Virtute71 wrote:I'm receiving junk mails that have no messages only to seen when Show Full Headers are on.
I can only guess those messages do have bad coding, so Poco can't read it.
Since it's only Junk I wouldn't worry too much about it or do they come in into your In folder?

:!: Do you use incoming notifications in Avast? Maybe disabling those would help, because that seems to be a recurring problem with Avast.

Also receive those blank junk messages, but I empty my Junk Mail folder after having a quick look at those. :lol:
I do receive messages from Yahoo groups but I have no problems with those.
That's good to hear. :)
Eric

Postby Virtute71 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:52 am

Hi Eric,

I used to have successful accuracy rate on junk email until junk mails started going in my In Folder since many of my filters are based on scanning html code inside messages and message body words. Somehow those filters don't work anymore.

I just turned off Avast scanning incoming email messages to see if it helps.

I'll play around with the filters more and see what I can come up with.
Virtute71
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:09 am

Virtute71 wrote:I just turned off Avast scanning incoming email messages to see if it helps.
:oops: I didn't mean to turn off scanning incoming mail, but to turn off adding a tag (notification) to each incoming message.
I'll play around with the filters more and see what I can come up with.
Let me know how it turns out. :wink:
Eric

Postby Virtute71 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi Eric,

AVast never adds any tag notifications in my emails in the first place LOL.

It's back on now.
Virtute71
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:13 pm

Hi Virtute71,
Virtute71 wrote:AVast never adds any tag notifications in my emails in the first place LOL.
It's back on now.
Good to know you don't let Avast add a tag, since it could be a possible culprit, like we experienced in the past. :?

Other possibilities, spam filters (local or from your ISP).
Else it could bad coding, like I said before, which Poco can't or has trouble showing.

For me, it isn't a problem, since all those messages turn up in my Junk Mail folder, but for you they show up in your In folder. :cry:

:!: Best would be to send such a message, not yet downloaded into Poco, directly to Support, so they can have a look at it.

It's all I can suggest at present. :(
Eric

Postby robin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:58 am

Hi Guys - I've seen something like this before. As I recall, the specification for e-mails demands a blank line after the header and before the body of the message - this is how an e-mail client knows where the headers end.

Looking at what you posted, the message appears to have no blank line after the header so Poco is unable to identify the body. You will also see that Poco has added some of its own headers after the "body text", as (it would appear) has Avast [but you say that your Avast doesn't, so perhaps this is a dummy tag added by the spammer....]

So it looks like the message is malformed (i.e. does not match the specification) and without that identifying blank line Poco does not see the body - which is why it appears to be a blank message. I don't know how any other client will render it, but they should do it the same.

The header fields shown in Short Headers are the same as the ones that you have defined in the index columns. Looking at the raw message that you posted, the fields to be shown are empty anyway...

While this is all very interesting, I think it means that there is not a solution, unless you can extend or copy your filter to go through the headers too... :?
robin

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To