[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Error # 0 while sending messages with attachments

Error # 0 while sending messages with attachments

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Error # 0 while sending messages with attachments

Postby atomic » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:22 pm

Every time when messages with attachments are sent, or even with insertet pictures I would get the following error message:

Logging into xxxxxxx server...
Sending message xxxxx
Socket Error #0

When message contains only text there is no problem.
I have turned the firewalls and antivirus off and it didn't help.
I had previous version of Poco Mail installed v. 4 and it was exactly the same and I had to go back to v. 3.4 to get this program working again. I tried to install the program on three computers and every time got the same problem.
Can someone help me to solve this???
Thanks in advance...
atomic
New Arrival

Re: Error # 0 while sending messages with attachments

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:49 am

Hi atomic & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
atomic wrote:Every time when messages with attachments are sent, or even with insertet pictures I would get the following error message:
<snip>
When message contains only text there is no problem.
:!: Did you have a look at the previous topic Socket error #0 ?
Can someone help me to solve this???
Hope the above can help you solve your problem. :wink:
Eric

Postby atomic » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:24 am

Eric, thanks for your reply.
Yes, in fact I did read that subject but it didn't answered my question. This is not about proxy server and my firewall has nothing to do with the problem.
As I said, I turned it off completely to make sure this is not the reason for PocoMail to fail to send attachments.
I do think this version of the program (v. 4.xxx) is malfunctioning.
Ver. 3.4 is working with absolutely NO problems in this area so why v. 4 is not? I was considering configuration as well, but I could not find anything that would relate to sending attachments.
Any more ideas?
atomic
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:18 am

atomic wrote:Eric, thanks for your reply.
You're welcome atomic. :wink:
Yes, in fact I did read that subject but it didn't answered my question. This is not about proxy server and my firewall has nothing to do with the problem.
Maybe it has to do with a proxy, as several antivirus act like a proxy.
Also spamfilters which use a proxy or other software, like a webfilter.
As I said, I turned it off completely to make sure this is not the reason for PocoMail to fail to send attachments.
Turning off your antivirus or firewall won't do, since drivers are loaded on startup, so they could interfere. You do need a firewall to protect you, so turning it off is not a good idea. :?
I do think this version of the program (v. 4.xxx) is malfunctioning.
Ver. 3.4 is working with absolutely NO problems in this area so why v. 4 is not?
Maybe it is malfunctioning on your system, although many use it without problems.
:!: If you could tell us a bit more about your configuration, meaning which antivirus, firewall, other programs loaded at startup, as well as your ISP and PC configuration.
I was considering configuration as well, but I could not find anything that would relate to sending attachments.
Maybe you didn't find anything related to your problem, but perhaps others can assist you better if they know a bit more. :)
Any more ideas?
That's all I can think of right now, but I'll have a look around. :wink:
Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:07 am

Eric

Postby atomic » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:20 am

Thanks Eric, I appreciate your input.
It seems to me that I am not the only one experiencing this problem and this is not only about the newest Poco but also Barca as well.
What I did with my firewall (Zone Alarm) I have completaly turned this off. As for my anti-virus software (Norton) I have always email chacking desibled.
I have tried this version now on three different computers (including my laptop).....all different mother boards, even different operating systems (XP and Win98SE), different video cards though the same manufacturar (ATI) except for the laptop, and different anti-virus - Panda another one - with email checking disabled as well. It's a little too much to convince me that this is about my hardware. And Poco 3.4 is still working !!!

I have read all the Links you provided and found no solutions except for this:
" I disabled Checksum Offload (have an NVidia LAN chipset) and it instantly solved the problem."

....but I don't have the NVidia Lan chipset :(

I thought that it would be easier for the developers of the program to figure this out as they know what changes they made to the program....as those changes are the reason the program is not working the way it suppose.
I have seen people posting requests on this forum looking for the solution to the same problem for almost a year and the developers just don't give a **** about it.

I'm glad I didn't spend money for the new version and I am not going to until the problem is solved...
I will try maybe version 5 in the future.

Thanks again for your time Eric.
atomic
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:59 pm

atomic wrote:Thanks Eric, I appreciate your input.
My pleasure atomic. ;)
It seems to me that I am not the only one experiencing this problem and this is not only about the newest Poco but also Barca as well.
Yes, there were others who experienced it too. For some the suggestions worked, for others it didn't. Had forgotten about that error, since I responded to those topics. :oops:
What I did with my firewall (Zone Alarm) I have completaly turned this off. As for my anti-virus software (Norton) I have always email chacking desibled.
I have tried this version now on three different computers (including my laptop).....all different mother boards, even different operating systems (XP and Win98SE), different video cards though the same manufacturar (ATI) except for the laptop, and different anti-virus - Panda another one - with email checking disabled as well. It's a little too much to convince me that this is about my hardware.
It's a pity that it doesn't work on those systems.
I'm using ATI, tried it with different antivirus & firewall (Norman, NOD32, BitDefender - Kerio - Comodo) and didn't experience what you're getting.
Sorry you had to perform all those tests without even getting a result. :(
And Poco 3.4 is still working !!!
Good for you that it's working with that version. :)
I thought that it would be easier for the developers of the program to figure this out as they know what changes they made to the program....as those changes are the reason the program is not working the way it suppose.
I have seen people posting requests on this forum looking for the solution to the same problem for almost a year and the developers just don't give a **** about it.
IMO it's not that easy to track that possible bug down, since it's working on most machines without a problem.
I know it's frustrating not getting a fix for this and maybe a next version will solve this problem, although if they can't reproduce or receive additional information about each configuration, I think it will be a hard one to eliminate.
I'm glad I didn't spend money for the new version and I am not going to until the problem is solved...
I will try maybe version 5 in the future.
That's why it's best to always use the trial period to see if it doesn't give you trouble.
Since your 3.4 version is working and you're quite satisfied with it, it's best to stay with it until there's a new upgrade to try out.
Thanks again for your time Eric.
You're welcome, although I couldn't provide anything more to fix this. :?
If another fix is posted, I'll respond back to this thread.

Take care and till next time. :wink:
Eric

Socket Error # 0

Postby John Lewis » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:23 am

Like Atomic some time ago, I am finding that when I try sending an e-mail with an attachment using Poco I get the error message:

Logging into xxxxxxx server...
Sending message xxxxx
Socket Error #0

This happens both with .jpg file attachments and (small) Word ones.

In my case I have just changed my PC security program to Norton 360 (from Norton anti-virus 2006).

I am using Windows XP with SP2. Windows Firewall is off, Norton firewall is on. Poco version is 4.5.0.3910

I have successfull sent an e-mail with attachment using Thunderbird.

Any ideas as to what I can do about e-mails with attachments using Poco which has been my e-mai program of choice for a long time now?

John
John Lewis
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:54 am

First thing I'd try whether it's not due to the firewall.
Completely disabling firewall for few moments to send the test message is probably not a safe solution in most situations, so try at least to enable Windows XP firewall and disable Norton firewall, and test whether that will help.
Also try whether disabling antivirus for a short time might help.

Try queueing message first, and sending queued message through menu File > Send Queued Messages.

Download the latest drivers for your graphics card and ethernet adapter (or for the hardware device you use to connect to the internet).

If neither one will help, please try to contact support (email through menu Help > Email Support, or through http://www.pocosystems.com/support/ if the email is not coming through with the attachments).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: Socket Error # 0

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:00 am

Hi John,
John Lewis wrote:Any ideas as to what I can do about e-mails with attachments using Poco which has been my e-mai program of choice for a long time now?
Not sure where the problem originates from, but did you uninstall Norton 2006 completely prior to installing Norton 360 :?:
1. Uninstall Norton 360 and after reboot run the Norton Removal Tool.
2. Reboot again and use a good registry cleaner like RegSupreme Pro or Ccleaner (free).
3. Remove all folders from Symantec and Norton and verify the startup processes.
4. Reboot once again and reinstall Norton 360.

If it still doesn't work, I think Norton is to agressive for Poco and maybe there's an option to exclude Poco or something along that line.
Since I don't use Norton anymore since a long time, I'm not able to help you further with this. :?

Check your account setting too, just to make sure.

Oops! Tomas already joined in. :lol: :wink:
Eric

Socket Error # 0

Postby John Lewis » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:10 am

Thanks very much.

I will try these suggestions.

John
John Lewis
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To