[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - How to set reply - so that my FROM matches their TO

How to set reply - so that my FROM matches their TO

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

How to set reply - so that my FROM matches their TO

Postby maverick » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:30 am

I use/have multiple email addresses. My default now is my personal email BUT most of my email comes to my business email address and my club email address ( I run a local club).

I want the email client to intelligently select the appropriate matchiing FROM address which matches the email they wrote me at - instead of my default email address every time.

I'd like my FROM address to match the address to which the email to me was addressed.

I want barca/poco to reply using the correct FROM address. Right now, as it stands, it ONLY uses my default address - and I have to REMEMBER to select the appropriate address from the drop down. Am I missing an obvious option/selection? Am I blind? I must be missing something!
maverick
Poco Tourist

Postby maverick » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:24 am

I just noticed from this link:

http://www.pocosystems.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

That this issue is an old bug.
maverick
Poco Tourist

Postby tribble » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:47 am

maverick, see my response at the thread you referenced.
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Re: How to set reply - so that my FROM matches their TO

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:50 am

maverick wrote:I want barca/poco to reply using the correct FROM address. Right now, as it stands, it ONLY uses my default address - and I have to REMEMBER to select the appropriate address from the drop down. Am I missing an obvious option/selection? Am I blind? I must be missing something!
Not blind, because it always uses the default here too, but that's because of my X-Account: header. :?
Maybe that could be looked into during the beta.

:idea: Can this help you more: Questions for Poco-Experts.

You could use an Event OnCompose, OnReply.
A template can help you too.

Hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby maverick » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:41 am

I think I just figured it out. I use a paid yahoo email account. I have multiple email addresses which I use from that account (same email address/account @ yahoo).

I'm popping it only from that one primary email address (account) - which gets all my email including the alternate email addresses which are provided to me (as a part of my yahoo account).

So, to make a long story short: Barca is just seeing my primary email address (default) - I'm not popping the other email addresses (separately, that is). I get 'em all from popping the one/primary email address.

In other words - Barca is IGNORING the TO address in my recieved emails because I'm getting them thru my default email address.

I'm wondering how to get around this - I'll have to learn something about onevents, or whatever it's called, I'm thinking....
maverick
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:48 am

maverick wrote:In other words - Barca is IGNORING the TO address in my recieved emails because I'm getting them thru my default email address.
Barca doesn't use the To to reply, instead it uses the X-Account header.
Look at the Raw Message to know what I mean.

As for an Event OnReply it helps me a lot to reply with the correct email address, instead of my default one. 8)
It's not that difficult to setup, but if you need some assistance, let me know. :wink:
Eric

Postby maverick » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:57 am

Yes, assist a total beginner, please :)
maverick
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:07 pm

maverick wrote:Yes, assist a total beginner, please :)
Here's some screenshots of an Event OnCompose, but the same principle can be used for an Event OnReply. :)
Select OnReply from the drop down list in Events.

Hope this helps setting it up. :wink:
Eric

Postby maverick » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:12 pm

Thanks, that should do it. If I don't have any problems, I will not post here again.
maverick
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:17 pm

You're welcome.
Also have a look at the Event OnDisplay, if you haven't done it already.

Have a great weekend. :wink:
Eric

Postby Andreas » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:01 am

You could also set up a filter on incoming messages with the filter action "change account to". Works fine for me,
Andreas
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:10 am

Andreas wrote:You could also set up a filter on incoming messages with the filter action "change account to". Works fine for me,
That could work too, although I haven't yet tested it with my accounts.
:?: What if the X-Account header is always my main account, regardless whether it's sent to my other email addresses.

Some testing to do. :lol:
Eric

Postby Andreas » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:50 am

Eric wrote:
Andreas wrote:You could also set up a filter on incoming messages with the filter action "change account to". Works fine for me,
That could work too, although I haven't yet tested it with my accounts.

It does work. :)

Eric wrote::?: What if the X-Account header is always my main account, regardless whether it's sent to my other email addresses.

When the filter action "change account to" is applied to an incoming message, the X-Account header will be changed to the specified account. When you reply to the messages later, the From address will be the From address of that account.
Andreas
Poco Enthusiast

Postby tribble » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:28 am

There's no argument that the filters could also do the job, but this is addressing the sympton and not the problem. All that's been done is a bandaid applied, not an attempt to find the root cause.

This should work independent of filters as it does for most all other users.
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:11 am

Andreas wrote:When the filter action "change account to" is applied to an incoming message, the X-Account header will be changed to the specified account. When you reply to the messages later, the From address will be the From address of that account.
I agree, but that's not what I want to do.
Using your method would change all messages to my other account.

Instead I used my secondary email address, where the account must be changed. :)
tribble wrote:This should work independent of filters as it does for most all other users.
Don't know if it could be changed that easily.
Something to report to PSI, so it can be looked at. :wink:
Eric

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To