[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Customizing Poco

Customizing Poco

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Customizing Poco

Postby dandtnor » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:55 am

Hi Everyone

Now that I have Poco Mail working I want to start getting the full benefit from this wonderful application.

1. I use two email accounts. Is there a way to customize the inbox to separate incoming mail by account? Either by color coding, etc.?

2. Also it appears as though Poco mails filter system is fairly robust. How does everyone use the filters?

I am just curious of some setups to see how everyone is using the tools within PocoMail to their advantage.

Thank you
david
dandtnor
Poco Tourist

Re: Customizing Poco

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:16 am

Hi David,
dandtnor wrote:Now that I have Poco Mail working I want to start getting the full benefit from this wonderful application.

1. I use two email accounts. Is there a way to customize the inbox to separate incoming mail by account? Either by color coding, etc.?
You could create an incoming filter to change the color or you could alse create two InBoxes or more. :)
First create your second InBox and afterwards define it in your account. Press F3 > Edit account > Folders.

You can even define one for Outgoing email.
2. Also it appears as though Poco mails filter system is fairly robust. How does everyone use the filters?
Yes, until now it never missed one. :P
I do use a lot of incoming & outgoing filters , as well as some pre-download filters.

Further more I also use the Event OnDisplay to protect my InBox, Junk mail and Trash.
Even if I do forget to toggle some options, I'm still protected.
Here's an example how to do it:

Some Events OnReply have been set up too, to change my account when replying from within a certain folder and/or subfolders.

Even a script 'Mark as Read' is applied through an Event OnAdd for my Junk mail folder, as well as several others used in incoming & outgoing filters.
I am just curious of some setups to see how everyone is using the tools within PocoMail to their advantage.
On my toolbar are several scripts too. Poco/Barca does give you enough possibilities to automate tasks and making email a lot easier IMHO. 8)
Eric

Re: Customizing Poco

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:15 am

dandtnor wrote:Hi Everyone

Now that I have Poco Mail working I want to start getting the full benefit from this wonderful application.

Hi David, and welcome to Poco.

dandtnor wrote:1. I use two email accounts. Is there a way to customize the inbox to separate incoming mail by account? Either by color coding, etc.?

Use the "Folders" tab of the "Account setup" form to set individual incoming and/or outgoing mailboxes. (Tools | Accounts Setup ...", select the account, then choose the "Folders" tab and set the "Incoming" and "Outgoing" folders. The advantage to this method over using regular filters is that you can add other filters to direct messages from each account to individual mailboxes or perform other actions on them. Using individual filters by account will work but you have to realize a restriction in Poco, once a message is moved to another mailbox by an incoming message filter no subsequent filters will act on that message.

dandtnor wrote:2. Also it appears as though Poco mails filter system is fairly robust. How does everyone use the filters?

I use a combination of filters and scripts running against incoming messages. For example, I run a script on messages from my wife and file them by month and year. I also run two versions of the same script (with different option settigns) against messages from people in my "Friends and Family" address book. The first script looks for those people who have individual mailboxes in my "Family" tree and files their messages in their mailbox. The second filter takes all remaining messages and checks my "Friends" tree and files the messages in the appropriate mailbox (creating one if necessary). I use other versions of this script for business customers.

The same scripts are run in "Post-Send" mode to move messages I've sent to family, friends or customers to the appropriate folder. These scripts have allowed me to reduce both my incoming and post-send filter lists by close to 100 entries as well as automating the process of creating new folders when someone is added to either address book.

I also use Poco at work and run a large number of scripts and filters there as well.
Michael

Postby dandtnor » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:45 pm

Ok. I am not sure what you mean about creating a new inbox. I think that you mean create a new folder and call it inbox and I could name it for a specific account...right? If so is there anyway that I can change the name of the defualt inbox to indicate that it is the inbox for the other account?

Am I even close?
dandtnor
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:47 pm

dandtnor wrote:Ok. I am not sure what you mean about creating a new inbox. I think that you mean create a new folder and call it inbox and I could name it for a specific account...right?
What I mean is creating another Folder. Give it the name you want and specify this folder inside your account,
so it can be used as InBox. :)
If so is there anyway that I can change the name of the defualt inbox to indicate that it is the inbox for the other account?
You can't change the name of the default InBox (= preset), but what you could do is creating two Sub-folders for this InBox.
Afterwards you specify it again inside your accounts. 8)
Am I even close?
A little bit. :wink:
Eric

Postby dandtnor » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:01 am

I am getting there. Got the inboxes setup and I am filtering mail to specific folders. Really great!!

I would like a clearer understanding of Events. There is really know information in help and I am not real clear on Event on Display and what it actually means.

Thanks again for all of your help.

david
dandtnor
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:19 pm

dandtnor wrote:I would like a clearer understanding of Events. There is really know information in help and I am not real clear on Event on Display and what it actually means.
An Event OnDisplay doesn't change the original messages, but displays it differently.

For example: For my InBox an Event OnDisplay is set to sanitize the messages, so these messages are safe.
No inline images who can report back (= SPAM) or webbugs. :)

If I move a message over to another folder, it displays the actual message.
These Events OnDisplay are set for my In, Junk and Trash folder.

Try it out with the picture posted above and you'll see what I mean. :wink:
Eric

Marke Message As in Poco 4?

Postby joheben » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:15 am

Eric,

Being able to mark Junk email as read sounds great, but how do you actually set it up? Following your example, I manage to define an event OnAdd for Junk, that should run a filter. In the filter setup I choose the action "Mark message as". However, no values for marking are available (I guess the choices should be Read and Unread). Is this a bug?

I am using PocoMail 4.0.

Appreciate any help.

-- Johan
joheben
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Marke Message As in Poco 4?

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:01 am

Hi Johan,
joheben wrote:Being able to mark Junk email as read sounds great, but how do you actually set it up? Following your example, I manage to define an event OnAdd for Junk, that should run a filter. In the filter setup I choose the action "Mark message as". However, no values for marking are available (I guess the choices should be Read and Unread). Is this a bug?
It's no bug, because those options aren't available at present.

You've to use the script 'Mark as Read' found in Extras.

Event Action: Run the following script
Target: Mark as Read (select the script)
Run only for specific folder: Junk mail

That should work. :)
Eric

Postby GuitarCustomShop » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:55 pm

Eric wrote:An Event OnDisplay doesn't change the original messages, but displays it differently.

For example: For my InBox an Event OnDisplay is set to sanitize the messages, so these messages are safe.
No inline images who can report back (= SPAM) or webbugs. :)

If I move a message over to another folder, it displays the actual message.
These Events OnDisplay are set for my In, Junk and Trash folder.

Try it out with the picture posted above and you'll see what I mean. :wink:

this is very nice... and coincidentally, its exactly what i want to do with my own "junk" folder . But i need to run an OnDisplay SCRIPT to sanitize, right??

I still havent received my Registration Key ( 3 days, and counting) :cry: so I do not have access to the 'extras" script section...
GuitarCustomShop
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:29 am

GuitarCustomShop wrote:this is very nice... and coincidentally, its exactly what i want to do with my own "junk" folder . But i need to run an OnDisplay SCRIPT to sanitize, right??
Nope, you don't have to run a script to sanitize. :)
Just select the option from your drop down list when creating a filter for your Event OnDisplay.

:!: Also right-click on your folder and choose Properties to Suppress New Mail notifications.
I still havent received my Registration Key ( 3 days, and counting) :cry: so I do not have access to the 'extras" script section...
Sorry for the delay, but Jim said to me through PM last night/morning that he's looking into it. :)
Eric

Postby GuitarCustomShop » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:04 am

ah.. OK! I see it now.

"Sanitize" is a FILTER 'perform' option, got it - Thanks! :D
GuitarCustomShop
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:45 am

You're welcome. :wink:
Eric

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To