[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco4 and ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Poco4 and ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco4 and ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Postby merlincorp » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:33 am

I have just installed ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, replacing Norton AV after several years.

It was easy to identify the Norton AV active program file and point to that in Network settings so incoming mail was scanned, but I can't see the equivalent amongst the long list of files in the ZoneAlarm suite. Anybody know which file to point to?

While I'm about it, I'm sure I have seen somewhere a much more comprehensive list of files to scan than the standard EXE COM OCX DLL BAT list in Poco. Anybody got any ideas there too?

Thanks
Adrian
Adrian Jones - Warrington, England
"Since light travels faster than sound - many people seem bright until they speak!"
merlincorp
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Poco4 and ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:46 am

Hi Adrian
merlincorp wrote:I have just installed ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, replacing Norton AV after several years.

It was easy to identify the Norton AV active program file and point to that in Network settings so incoming mail was scanned, but I can't see the equivalent amongst the long list of files in the ZoneAlarm suite. Anybody know which file to point to?
See this topic for more information.
While I'm about it, I'm sure I have seen somewhere a much more comprehensive list of files to scan than the standard EXE COM OCX DLL BAT list in Poco. Anybody got any ideas there too?
I've got it somewhere on my computer, but can't find it right now. Will post it later. :wink:
Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:46 am

:oops: I should add that you don't need a list inside Poco, but you could exclude files to scan in ZA. :)
Eric

Just to clarify

Postby merlincorp » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:54 am

Hi Eric - are you saying that we should just leave the Virus Scanner path blank in Network Settings?

And so presumably the "check files of type" box becomes redendant with ZoneAlarm Suite too?

I did test the system with that link you put up to the 'friendly' psuedo-virus prog - ZoneAlarm leapt into action!

Adrian
"Since light travels faster than sound - many people seem bright until they speak!"
merlincorp
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Just to clarify

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:08 am

merlincorp wrote:Hi Eric - are you saying that we should just leave the Virus Scanner path blank in Network Settings?
You don't have to put anything in there, as ZA will check automatically all POP3 and IMAP protocols.
The same happens with my antivirus KAV or BitDefender or Norton & many others. :)
And so presumably the "check files of type" box becomes redendant with ZoneAlarm Suite too?
:!: No, I certanly would check that box, although I've never used the ZA Suite.
I suppose those 'Check files of type' are preset or do you've to insert them manually?
I did test the system with that link you put up to the 'friendly' psuedo-virus prog - ZoneAlarm leapt into action!
That proves that all HTML emails or attachments are scanned without the need to configure it in Poco. 8)
Eric

Just to finish ...

Postby merlincorp » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:12 am

Then if ZoneAlarm is "doing its own thing" with POP3 emails I can't see how that "check files of type" in Network Settings is being used by ANY program.

That make sense?

Cheers
merlincorp
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:19 am

merlincorp wrote:Then if ZoneAlarm is "doing its own thing" with POP3 emails I can't see how that "check files of type" in Network Settings is being used by ANY program.

That make sense?
:idea: There are still some antivirus out there who don't do this automatically, so you still need to insert the executable of your antivirus to scan messages, as well as the attachments to scan too.

Here you'll find another test for email. :)

And a very interesting webpage too. :)
Eric

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To