[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - POImport error [Mod: Resolved]

POImport error [Mod: Resolved]

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

POImport error [Mod: Resolved]

Postby fblum » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:34 am

I am just playing with Poco and trying to evaluate it as an alternative to Outlook Express. However I am having trouble importing my messages and contacts using POImport (I get an error message and it freezes) The manual mentions something about advanced debugging but I can't seem to find that option. If you can't manage a simple file transfer from a very common email program how can you hope to be a viable alternative??? Any help out there? Is there another way to import contacts and messages using the outlook export function?
fblum
New Arrival

Exact error message

Postby fblum » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:54 am

here's the message I get:
Access violation at address 004B6EE8 in module "poimport.exe" Read of address 00000008
fblum
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:10 am

Hi fblum & welcome to Poco Forums, :D

I've moved your topic here, because General was the wrong place to post it.
fblum wrote:I am just playing with Poco and trying to evaluate it as an alternative to Outlook Express. However I am having trouble importing my messages and contacts using POImport (I get an error message and it freezes)
:!: Don't use the POImport to import from Outlook Express.
It's only used for Outlook, so it's normal to receive an Access Violation error.

Take a look at this topic.

Also Poco does have an Import Wizard for importing your messages from Outlook Express. (File > Import)

Hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Got messages but not contacts

Postby fblum » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:01 pm

Amazing- read the instructions and you can accomplish things. I did indeed manage to move my messages over. But no luck with contacts. I am playing with my email account prior to moving my account and my wifes email to Poco and she has hundreds of contacts. "Honey you'll have to re-enter them" just ain't gonna fly I'll search a bit more for a way to bring in contacts but I'm afraid this won't work. And I do so enjoy thumbing my nose at Microsoft.
fblum
New Arrival

Here's how you do it

Postby fblum » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:34 pm

Success!!! i didn't know that CSV stood for "comma separated values"
In Outlook Express addresses>file>export >other address book >textfile (comma separated values)>export The fewer data columns you import the less confusing it will be (see below) This will be done in 2 seconds
In PocoMail file>import>contacts then
1.CSV file
2.browse to address file you just exported (can't find it? look for ".csv" files-you won't have many)
3.Address
Somewhere in here it will ask you to line up the data columns for the exported data and the imported data. To make life easy I just exported first, last, name, email. This window is a bit confusing but read it carefully and just drag the column names on the second line to match your exported data.
Hit "Start" and it should work
fblum
New Arrival

Re: Here's how you do it

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:21 pm

fblum wrote:Success!!! i didn't know that CSV stood for "comma separated values"
Good to know it paid off. :D
In case it didn't work, there's always Dawn which could help you import your address books more easily. 8)

Thanks anyhow for the steps to take.

Enjoy Poco and if you need additional information, look it up here or if not found, start a new topic. :wink:
Eric

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To