[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco 4 Socket Error #10054 [Mod: Resolved]

Poco 4 Socket Error #10054 [Mod: Resolved]

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco 4 Socket Error #10054 [Mod: Resolved]

Postby bchirgwin » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:22 pm

I am getting a Socket Error #10054 in PocoMail 4

I can send a short 2 word message. If I send a message with about a paragraph of test or longer I get Socket Error#10054.

I have tried Outlook which has no problem.

PocoMail 3.4 had no problem before I upgraded to 4.

Anybody have any ideas on how to resolve this besides downgrading back to 3.4.
bchirgwin
Poco Tourist

Problem Update

Postby bchirgwin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:16 am

Did some more testing

Outlook Works!
Reinstalled Pocomail 3.4 - Works!
Installed TheBat - Works!

PocoMail 4 can send a message under about 400 characters.

A message over about 400 characters fails wth

Socket Error # 10054
Connection reset by peer.

I have turned off Antivirus, firewalls, etc...

Guess I'll have to downgrade to 3.4 until an update is released.
bchirgwin
Poco Tourist

Re: Problem Update

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:23 am

Hi bchirgwin & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
bchirgwin wrote:A message over about 400 characters fails wth

Socket Error # 10054
Connection reset by peer.

I have turned off Antivirus, firewalls, etc...

Guess I'll have to downgrade to 3.4 until an update is released.
Strange, but I can send anything I like.
Some questions:
Does it happen with every account?
:?: Have you tried changing something to your account?

Here's a topic which could help you and here's a more technical explination.

Hope we can find what's wrong. :wink:
Eric

Postby bchirgwin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:10 am

Good idea but checking on another account didn't work.

Also, happens with two different SMTP servers (my own and isp)
Both smtp servers work in all other products previously mentioned (including the Pocomail 3.4)

In Pocomail 4, click send I get the "logging in..." message in status bar, the sends the message the progress bar goes to 100%, then it sits for about 30 seconds before finally giving the error.

The one thing I haven't tried yet but will when I get the time is to remove Pocomail 4 and reinstall it and try without importing my existing mail and accounts from version 3. Maybe the import of mail/accounts is changing some obscure setting causing the problem.

I'll try any ideas.
bchirgwin
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:13 am

bchirgwin wrote:The one thing I haven't tried yet but will when I get the time is to remove Pocomail 4 and reinstall it and try without importing my existing mail and accounts from version 3. Maybe the import of mail/accounts is changing some obscure setting causing the problem.

I'll try any ideas.
:!: Before reverting to those drastic measures you could perhaps delete your account(s) and recreate them from scratch.

See if that helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby bchirgwin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:39 am

Thanks, but already tried that.
bchirgwin
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:45 am

bchirgwin wrote:Thanks, but already tried that.
Sorry, didn't know. :?
:idea: Could you check if the setup of your account(s) in 3.4 is the same as in 4.0?
Eric

RESOLVED

Postby bchirgwin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:43 am

OK I have tested and found a resolution. Very obscure.

+ Installed Pocomail 4 on a different machine - It worked
+ Swapped IP addresses from the working machine to non-working machine - still fails (didn't test the other way)
+Installed a clean version of P4 on non-working machine - still failed

+ I have a nVidia NForce4 AMD motherboard which has ENET. I downloaded the latest driver set (released Oct 26, 2005). The NForce board includes a Firewall as well, which I was not using, but did try at one time (I had it uninstalled). Pocomail 4 now Works!

So:

+The lastest ethernet driver for the NFORCE contained a fix
(unlikely since many other email clients worked) Pocomail 4 would have to be doing communication different from other clients including Pocomail 3.4.)
+The NFORCE firewall, although not installed, maybe had some configuration. (I did install Pocomail 4 to a different path than Pocomail 3) Maybe the different path was preventing communication via the build in firewall (which I did remove).
This seems most likely. The build in firewall probably kept some settings and was preventing some communcation. Although it is weird that P4 worked for small messages.

+ Pocomail 3.4 worked and Pocomail 4 failed. Was there a change in the way communication occurs in the two versions? This would be something Pocomail 4 would be doing that other clients wouldn't be, as other email clients also worked.

(Wish I thought to try Pocomail 4 in the path Pocomail 3 used)

Anyway, I can only make guesses as to what was the issue. Installing the latest drivers resolved the problem.

I wish I had a more concrete details. Anyway I seem to be working now. Hope this information helps others.

Thanks for all your help.
bchirgwin
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:52 am

My pleasure bchirgwin.
Thanks for letting us know about the fix. :wink:
Eric

Re: RESOLVED

Postby mystikmedia » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:55 am

bchirgwin wrote:OK I have tested and found a resolution. Very obscure.

+ Installed Pocomail 4 on a different machine - It worked
+ Swapped IP addresses from the working machine to non-working machine - still fails (didn't test the other way)
+Installed a clean version of P4 on non-working machine - still failed

+ I have a nVidia NForce4 AMD motherboard which has ENET. I downloaded the latest driver set (released Oct 26, 2005). The NForce board includes a Firewall as well, which I was not using, but did try at one time (I had it uninstalled). Pocomail 4 now Works!

So:

+The lastest ethernet driver for the NFORCE contained a fix
(unlikely since many other email clients worked) Pocomail 4 would have to be doing communication different from other clients including Pocomail 3.4.)
+The NFORCE firewall, although not installed, maybe had some configuration. (I did install Pocomail 4 to a different path than Pocomail 3) Maybe the different path was preventing communication via the build in firewall (which I did remove).
This seems most likely. The build in firewall probably kept some settings and was preventing some communcation. Although it is weird that P4 worked for small messages.

+ Pocomail 3.4 worked and Pocomail 4 failed. Was there a change in the way communication occurs in the two versions? This would be something Pocomail 4 would be doing that other clients wouldn't be, as other email clients also worked.

(Wish I thought to try Pocomail 4 in the path Pocomail 3 used)

Anyway, I can only make guesses as to what was the issue. Installing the latest drivers resolved the problem.

I wish I had a more concrete details. Anyway I seem to be working now. Hope this information helps others.

Thanks for all your help.

I formatted my computer today and found myself in the *exact* same situation. I have the same hardware. The fix you mentioned did the trick for me too. Thanks for the tip!
mystikmedia
Poco Tourist

same problem, different hardware

Postby videopoet » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:15 am

I don't get it. I'm using a jetway v600dap mobo with an old matrox g450 dual head. I've got the same problem (among others - sometimes I get socket error=#0 as well, and poco can just about cripple the system when its checking for mail - thats an athlon 3000 with a gig of ram...)

I do know that Poco's support is non-existent. Having sent several emails to their help desk I have had one reply, to quote;

"we need to look more into this"

Just that. No greeting , no salutation, nothing more than those 7 words. I think that means "Actually we haven't got a clue and we couldn't care less cos we've already got your money".

Any ideas offered before I settle on an alternative product will be gratefully considered.
videopoet
Drop-in Visitor

Re: same problem, different hardware

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:12 am

Hi videopoet & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
videopoet wrote:I do know that Poco's support is non-existent. Having sent several emails to their help desk I have had one reply, to quote;

"we need to look more into this"
Sorry to hear you're experiencing the same problem. :?
Just that. No greeting , no salutation, nothing more than those 7 words. I think that means "Actually we haven't got a clue and we couldn't care less cos we've already got your money".
I don't think it means what you wrote. PSI really cares about their customers, but they don't have the resources or personnel like M$. I'm sure they are looking into the matter to find a solution.
It may however take some time for Support to respond.
First they need to reproduce the problem you & others are reporting.
Any ideas offered before I settle on an alternative product will be gratefully considered.
Hang in there, because Poco is really a great email client. My words, but also those of many other satisfied users. :)

Socket error (#10064): Host is down.
Analyse & Solutions: A socket operation failed because the destination host is down. A socket operation encountered a dead host. Networking activity on the local host has not been initiated. These conditions are more likely to be indicated by the error WSAETIMEDOUT.

I don't get it. I'm using a jetway v600dap mobo with an old matrox g450 dual head. I've got the same problem (among others - sometimes I get socket error=#0 as well, and poco can just about cripple the system when its checking for mail - thats an athlon 3000 with a gig of ram...)
Poco cripples your system! :shock:
Now that's really very strange.
Will look into it a bit later or if someone has a suggestion/solution, please post it. :wink:
Eric

10054 errors

Postby videopoet » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:38 am

Hi Eric

Thanks for the encouragement.

When I say poco cripples my system I'm probably exaggerating a tad, but for the few seconds its checking for mail (or trying and failing to send mail) nothing else will work - really annoying if its open in the background while you do other stuff. I had to change the settings on my yahoo account and tell it only to check once every couple of hours.

4 the record my setup is
Jetway v600dap (spec here)
Athlon 3000
1gb DDR 400

I don't use a LAN
Have tried disabling AVG and Sygate
The same account setting in OE work fine - in fact I have to cut and paste into OE to e-mail Poco support!

I tried uninstall / reinstall earlier today - no difference.

I don't want to sound rude but this isn't a toy, its a business tool and the time and effort I'm wasting trying to sort this problem should be being spent elsewhere - and thats frustrating.

Thanx
videopoet
Drop-in Visitor

10054 errors and nVidia

Postby videopoet » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:51 am

I should also say I'm running a dual monitor set-up too, but not nVidia. I'm running an old matrox G450 using xp pro's management.
videopoet
Drop-in Visitor

Re: 10054 errors and nVidia

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:00 am

videopoet wrote:I should also say I'm running a dual monitor set-up too, but not nVidia. I'm running an old matrox G450 using xp pro's management.
Just a suggestion:
:idea: Can you exclude Poco from your graphics card? Same as the solution to nVidia.
Don't know that driver, but maybe it's possible to cause the same problems.
Eric

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To