[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Missing message text - very mysterious!

Missing message text - very mysterious!

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Missing message text - very mysterious!

Postby wortgames » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:28 pm

Recently I've started receiving blank email messages, or messages with just a word or two of quoted text.

The really weird thing is if I hit 'reply' then the whole message is visible in my reply!

These messages include official eBay messages, where my customer and I receive copies of the same mail. The customer seems to receive them no problem, only mine are affected.

Any ideas on what could cause this?
wortgames
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:05 pm

I am receiving messages from Ebay without any problem.

Your best bet is to save the problematic messages in .eml format and send to Pocomail support address for further inspection.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby wortgames » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:19 am

Thanks for the tip, I have just done this (via Help menu in pocomail).
wortgames
Poco Tourist

Postby Hummer » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:04 am

same problem, 2 or 3 emails from eBay (of the 30 or so from the past month) have come up blank except for subject & sender.. I hit reply and can see the message... heres the catch:

the e-mails that were sent from a user of eBay that have a from address of "sm-member@ebay.com" are the blank messages. Anything else came fine..
Hummer
Drop-in Visitor

Postby wortgames » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:20 pm

I still haven't heard anything back since a "we will look into this" from Slaven a month ago.

It is not just eBay messages, there are a few others as well, but as hummer states all of the ones sent from sm-member@ebay com.au (in my case) are doing it. It is becoming a PIA (I am an ebay seller, my email needs to work!)

Strange thing is that Outlook Express opens them just fine.

Any new progress on this, Poco dudes?
wortgames
Poco Tourist

Postby Dalez » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:21 pm

I am seeing the same problem with several emails including one from sm-member@ebay com.au. Interestingly, the content becomes visible if either "Sanitize HTML" or "Ignore HTML" is selected - but only for the ebay email.
Dalez
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:25 am

Interesting, quite some time ago I was having a similar problem with messages from my wife's hotmail account. This turned out to be due to mal-formed HTML coding by hotmail. I was able to view the message text by pressing the "3" button on the toolbar (if you have the "PocoScripts section" enabled. You might possibly be able to view the text by right clicking on the message in the preview pane and selecting "View Raw Message" (this uses a different technique which might or might not work).
Michael

Postby wortgames » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:40 am

Thanks for that tip, Michael, the 'view raw message' seems to do the trick.

Up till now I've just been hitting the 'reply' button which displays the message text but loses all formatting.
wortgames
Poco Tourist

Postby Andreas » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:23 pm

I have also seen blank mails, they contained a HTML file as an attachment. For me, the workaround is to activate the option "show supported attachments inline". This option, however, has the drawback that I'm now occasionally seeing the same content twice: Once in the normal message body and a second time under inline attachments. But that's better than seeing nothing. :)
Andreas
Poco Enthusiast

Postby J-Mac » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:43 pm

I'm getting the same thing here. I already had "Show supported Attachments Inline" selected, but I still get "blank" messages. The HTML that is not showing is not an attachment, but is part of the message body.

Whenever I get one I select "View Raw Message" just so I can read it.

But this is not good! I don't see anything wrong with the HTML language in the message bodies.

Does anyone know if PSI has commented on this issue?

Has anyone notified support yet?

EDIT: Oops! I just re-read the thread quickly and saw that wortgames has done both. Sorry. :oops:
Thanks!
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Postby J-Mac » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:51 pm

Mine are also the ones from ebay members, the sm-ebay-member@ebay.com emails.

Oddly enough, try printing one. It prints perfectly. As a matter of fact, if you click on File>Print... , you will see a preview of the message - and it looks fine.

I'm going to submit a support request also. Since PSI isn't commenting on this at all - they haven't acknowledged whether they have even seen the issue - maybe they want to see if there are enough users experiencing this to make it worthwhile to fix!
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Postby Gentlsong » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:21 pm

Has anyone with this problem checked to see if their ISP has a spam blocker or virus check on? I know this has happened to me in the past and I believe that was having something to do with it at that point. I know now that when I get blocked messages from my ISP, they appear without a subject or sender or any content. I usually check headers to see if it's anything that shouldn't have been blocked.

Sylvia
Gentlsong
Frequent Visitor

Postby jbuk » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:12 am

Let me add my experiences with ebay messages.

A month or two ago some of my ebay messages came with no text. If I sanitised then the text was visible. So I set up a filter to do this for me automatically.
After a while I switched the filter off and the problem did not reoccur.
That is until I started to play with predownload filters for ebay mail to avoid having to delete them manually from the server. I LMOS and set up a pre download filter to check for ebay mail and move it to a selected folder. These messages always were blank and I mean really blank no text at all even when sanitised, stripped of html or displayed raw. I tried various permutations of copy to, move to then delete.

As a blank message that is no longer on the server is pretty useless I switched this filter off after three days of experimenting.
I now just deal with these read once and delete messages manually .....pity though that these highly fomatted ebay messages seem to defeat PM4s filters.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Me too...

Postby MrT » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:07 pm

Yes, this is another annoyance for me as well.

Usually it's newsletter / advert so assume poco is having a problem reading some html.

Will post back after I've hopefully sorted the non-working preview pane to let you know which messages are affected.
MrT
Drop-in Visitor

Postby jbuk » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:57 am

I have started using my predownload filter again for ebay messages - after I set my ebay preferences for text not html messages.
I still get totally blank messages. This tells me that it is not an HTML interpretation problem. It looks to me as though PM cannot deal with ebay emails and completely ignores the body. Although if these are downloaded normally then they are legible.
I use other predownload filters and these messages are moved in their entirity and are then legible.

What is going on here ?? Anyone any ideas. I would like to resolve this problem.

UPDATE >>>> It is my daily saved searches messages that have the text missing. The watch list messages do come through normally. This is my experience anyway after 2 days of putting the pre download filter back in action.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To