[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - how to store mail boxes on a network drive

how to store mail boxes on a network drive

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

how to store mail boxes on a network drive

Postby limerick » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:21 pm

I have three computers here at my office. I would like to install the
client on the three machines, but keep the mails/boxes/address
book on the network drive that is backed up. Is that possible?
(even a USB keychain drive can get lost, run over, dropped in the
water, etc.)

Is this possible, if so, what directories need moving to "Z" drive?

"Z" = (essentially) NAS or Network Attached Storage - just a drive
mapped to computers on the network.
limerick
New Arrival

Postby Pete » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:16 pm

I believe that you can keep all of the directories on the network volumes (at least the ones that you specify at "Tools > Options > Directories"). However, I don't think that PocoMail supports the sharing of a single set of data files among multiple Windows users. If true, then you would have to have separate data areas on the network for each PocoMail installation.
Pete

Postby limerick » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:24 pm

I don't need to share a common set of data, such as a networked
database, but just to be able to initiate a mail session from any one
of several machines at any one given time.

I already saw that I could run it from the 'net drive', I copied the
main and subdirectories from the one machine to the net drive and
deleted the same on the single machine... thanks for the tip.
although, I still might need to do a data only on the net drive as
the registered version would need a registry key on each CPU.
limerick
New Arrival

Postby limerick » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:27 pm

now that I've already submitted my initial reply, I did then check
your suggestion and Viola!

Seems problem solved, at least till I register it... will wait for the other shoe to drop. :wink:

Thanks, Ron
limerick
New Arrival

Postby Pete » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:36 pm

I'm glad, Ron. Note that if you're concerned about backing up the files, you would still need to somehow backup the .ini files that (by default) are located at C:\Program Files\PocoMail3. This gets more complicated if you have more than one user, but basically you just need to ensure that you're backing up all of these .ini files if you care about each user's settings.
Pete

Postby dcrocker » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:54 am

Pete wrote:I believe that you can keep all of the directories on the network volumes (at least the ones that you specify at "Tools > Options > Directories"). However, I don't think that PocoMail supports the sharing of a single set of data files among multiple Windows users. If true, then you would have to have separate data areas on the network for each PocoMail installation.

Unfortunately, if pocomail starts up and cannot access the files listed in the user's directories settings, it reverts to the default directory. In addition, there are some configuration files not kept in the user-configured spaces.

The only way I have been able to have my different computers access exactly the same set of mail files AND the same set of pocomail state information is to have a link configured with the Target field specifying the directory to start in.

For example:
Code: Select all
"\\Bbfujip\C\Program Files\communications\PocoMail3\Poco.exe" /startin "\\Bbfujip\C\Documents and Settings\dhc\My Documents\mail-poco"

/d
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
dcrocker
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To