[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Editor freezing

Editor freezing

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Editor freezing

Postby Nate Salsbury » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:48 pm

I am experiencing the Editor "freezing" in the middle of preparing messages (and, often, when Queuing them). The message "Preparing the Message" appears on the bottom bar of the Editor while it is frozen. Everything on the screen is "locked". The mouse can move but cannot 'accomplish' anything

This lasts for 10-15 seconds. When Poco Unfreezes, if I have typed anything while it was frozen (it doesn't appear on the screen) that material is retrieved from a buffer and placed into my document.

:cry:
Nate Salsbury
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:58 pm

Hi Nate & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
Nate Salsbury wrote:I am experiencing the Editor "freezing" in the middle of preparing messages (and, often, when Queuing them). The message "Preparing the Message" appears on the bottom bar of the Editor while it is frozen. Everything on the screen is "locked". The mouse can move but cannot 'accomplish' anything
Sorry to hear about the freezing. :?

Already several topics can be found when performing a search.
Here are already some:
- Screen Freeze
- Screen freeze on composing messages

And another about the Nvidia driver:
- Here's how to FIX the nVidia driver / nView crash bug!

I hope this helps solving the freeze.

Let us know how it goes. :wink:
Eric

Editor freezing

Postby Nate Salsbury » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:35 am

Eric - nice to hear from ou. Here is a more detailled description of the very annoying problem I have had this entire year. The threads you pointed me to had exactly the same problem - but there was no resolution back then. Perhaps I'll get lucky now. Here is my story:

The situation is that very frequently, the Poco Editor will 'freeze' for 15-25 seconds

I have done some 'experimenting'. I have discovered that if I have been typing for a bit and _stop_, Poco picks up the entire document and stores it in a "Draft" folder AND AT THE MOMENT IT DOES THIS, the (cursed) message "Preparing the message' _flashes_ on the bottom of the Poco Window.

On _some_ of these occasions, as I have noted, Poco FREEZES - nothing works. However, if I click my mouse to a certain part of the text on the screen, I cannot DO anything there but when Poco 'returns', the cursor is RIGHT THERE. Even backspaces or regular spaces that I might have struck while Poco is 'frozen' are captured in some buffer while Poco is having its freeze and when it un-freezes, those keystrokes are acted on.. If it 'freezes' while I am typing a message, when it returns that 'frozen' text (previously unseen) suddenly appears in its correct place.

This 'freezing' also occasionally occurs when I am finished with a message and try to put it in the 'Queue'

I have noticed things in that Draft Folder and wondered how they got there (I _have_ directed some messages there during composition - from the menu choice in the Editor). And, more importantly, wondered WHY Poco didn't do housekeeping in there to purge unused material.

My first question is WHY does Poco do that? (Store stuff in the Draft folder.)

In all the years that I have used Poco, I have _never_ found it necessary/useful to access that Draft folder. So, this is a 'feature' for which I have no use.

My computer runs at 877 MHz .Is that possibly too high a speed for that transfer process to work properly?

By the way, this experimenting was done on a 'new' installation of Poco 3.4. What I did was copy the ENTIRE Poco folder into a new directory where it runs correctly.
Nate Salsbury
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:31 pm

Nate Salsbury wrote:Eric - nice to hear from ou. Here is a more detailled description of the very annoying problem I have had this entire year.
Nice to hear from you too Nate and thanks for the detailed description of the freezing. :)
My first question is WHY does Poco do that? (Store stuff in the Draft folder.)
Why? It's a security feature, so you don't lose your message when something happens while composing.
I do agree that once the message is sent, the messages in Draft should get cleared out.
I use the Draft regularly and it leaves multiple copies of the same message,
so it would be better that once the message is actually sent all should be cleared.
My computer runs at 877 MHz .Is that possibly too high a speed for that transfer process to work properly?
That I think shouldn't be the problem.
Mine runs at 2400 MHz and I don't experience any freezing at all. Running smooth here.

Have you tried the following?

1. Close Poco and copy the poco.ini file to another directory. Restart Poco and a new Poco.ini file will be created.
(= all previous settings lost)
If it doesn't cure the freeze, you can copy the ini file back to its previous location.
:!: Always close Poco before performing this step.

Continue with the next step.

2. Starting your computer in Safe Mode with network capabilities.
Be sure to activate your firewall and antivirus.
Does the freeze still occur?
If it does, it could mean a hardware problem.
If it doesn't, it could mean some software is interacting with Poco.

You're not using Spybot Search & Destroy's Teatimer by any chance.
If you do, deactivate the Teatimer.

3. Start your computer in Normal Mode and afterwards deactivate one startup process.
(Not the needed processes for Windows, but software)
Start Poco and try it out if the freeze continues.

Still freezing? Deactivate another startup process and start Poco again to try out.
Repeat the process until the freezing stops.

That's all I can think of for now, but maybe someone else has another suggestion. :wink:
Eric

Editor freezing

Postby Nate Salsbury » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:37 am

ERic - I really appreciate your comments. LOTS more help than from "support".

I'll be looking into your ideas and give you a report in the future
Nate Salsbury
New Arrival

Re: Editor freezing

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:23 am

Nate Salsbury wrote:ERic - I really appreciate your comments. LOTS more help than from "support".
I'll be looking into your ideas and give you a report in the future
My pleasure Nate and I do hope you'll find the culprit.
Looking forward to your report. :wink:
Eric

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To