[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - help importing data from Thunderbird

help importing data from Thunderbird

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

help importing data from Thunderbird

Postby leslie » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:02 am

I am trying to import my email messages from thunderbird and I cannot seem to do it. I have gone through the wizard as well as file>import>messages, and nothing seems to happen. Is there something I am missing?

Leslie
leslie
New Arrival

Re: help importing data from Thunderbird

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:12 am

Hi Leslie & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
leslie wrote:I am trying to import my email messages from thunderbird and I cannot seem to do it. I have gone through the wizard as well as file>import>messages, and nothing seems to happen. Is there something I am missing?
To quote what I found in Thunderbird's FAQ:
How do I export e-mail messages to another mail program or computer?

Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format, which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the "mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly.
Did you point to a Thunderbird mailbox?
You'll have to import them one by one, as well as inserting the mailbox to receive the import.

Can't help you more then that, since I never used TB, but maybe someone else can. :wink:
Eric

Postby Alycat » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:27 am

Eric, I had to import messages from TB to Poco about 6 months ago, and yes, as you say, TB stores in mbox. I found Poco's wizard too hard :roll: and did it using the Tools-Import but Poco's import is IMHO a real pain, it always defaults to Outlook (I think) and something that should have taken a few minutes (and has in other email programs) took me about an hour.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can convert 2 and 3/4 to binary and those who can't.
Alycat
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:54 am

Alycat wrote:Eric, I had to import messages from TB to Poco about 6 months ago, and yes, as you say, TB stores in mbox. I found Poco's wizard too hard :roll: and did it using the Tools-Import but Poco's import is IMHO a real pain, it always defaults to Outlook (I think) and something that should have taken a few minutes (and has in other email programs) took me about an hour.
Ken, there's only one quicker way to do it, but it's not free.
Mailbag Assistant can export everything to EML, which then can be easily imported into Poco. :)
Never had to use that wizard, but I'll give it a try one of these days. :wink:
Eric

Thanks

Postby leslie » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:12 pm

Thanks for all the help. I used Mailbox Assistant, and although it took some time, I finally got everything organized.
leslie
New Arrival

Re: Thanks

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:24 pm

leslie wrote:Thanks for all the help. I used Mailbox Assistant, and although it took some time, I finally got everything organized.
Our pleasure Leslie.
Glad you got everything transferred with Mailbag Assistant. :D
Eric

Postby Pete » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:56 am

If Thunderbird and PocoMail use the same mailbox format, it would be interesting to know if one can simply close PocoMail, copy the mailboxes to PocoMail's mail folder (give them .mbx extensions), start PocoMail, and see if PocoMail can work directly with the mailboxes.
Pete

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:00 am

Pete wrote:If Thunderbird and PocoMail use the same mailbox format, it would be interesting to know if one can simply close PocoMail, copy the mailboxes to PocoMail's mail folder (give them .mbx extensions), start PocoMail, and see if PocoMail can work directly with the mailboxes.
Interesting indeed, so I started a test exporting a mailbox from Bloomba (Mbox) and gave it the mbx extension.

On restart of Barca the mailbox and the message was present. :)

So that works too. :D
Eric

Importing Thunderbird

Postby BigRalphN » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:10 pm

I was able to do it manually (not with the Wizard). I coul donly import them to my IN folder though. If I took my outbox and tried to import to the Poco Out box, it acted like it was working, but did not. So I saved them to the inbox and moved the messages. It was the same with every other folder. Only the Inbox would accept the import.

Another really weird thing was that it imported 900 plus messages from my inbox. Messages I had deleted months ago, including spam that was moved and deleted in Thunderbird, showed up. At leat all my new messages were there as well.
BigRalphN
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Importing Thunderbird

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi BigRalphN & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
BigRalphN wrote:I was able to do it manually (not with the Wizard). I coul donly import them to my IN folder though. If I took my outbox and tried to import to the Poco Out box, it acted like it was working, but did not. So I saved them to the inbox and moved the messages. It was the same with every other folder. Only the Inbox would accept the import.
As posted above you can copy/move your mailboxes (*.MBOX) and *.dat to Poco's mail directory.
Change the extension from *.MBOX to *.MBX.
Start Poco now and all your mailboxes will be present. :P

I never had to import anything, but it seems strange that only the InBox was accepted.
Another really weird thing was that it imported 900 plus messages from my inbox. Messages I had deleted months ago, including spam that was moved and deleted in Thunderbird, showed up. At leat all my new messages were there as well.
Not weird at all.
There's an option in Thunderbird to compress your mailboxes, which you apparently didn't do.

Compress = removing obsolete messages (deleted) from your mailboxes and decreasing the size.

When Poco was started all your mailboxes were re-indexed, so all your previously deleted messages showed up again. :?

:!: Best to compress your mailboxes, before importing.

I hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby BigRalphN » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:02 am

Thanks. I wondered if I had not compressed them, but I know I have done it recently. Souns like a little Thunderbird bug.
BigRalphN
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Pete » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:20 am

Eric wrote:As posted above you can copy/move your mailboxes (*.MBOX) and *.dat to Poco's mail directory.

I don't have any test files to import, but I would guess that the .dat files might not be compatible with PocoMail.
Pete

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:48 am

Pete wrote:I don't have any test files to import, but I would guess that the .dat files might not be compatible with PocoMail.
Does Thunderbird even use .dat files, just not sure?
If it's only MBOX, then there's no problem. :)
Eric

Postby Leo Berkhout » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:15 am

I have in Mozilla Thunderbird a lot of mailboxes.
And they exist in subfolders from different accounts.
I can't automatic import messages from default mail boxes.
I have to do this manual with Import Messages within Pocomail 4.0.

I'm suprised that I need every time select again from Outlook to Mozilla Thunderbird messages, and every time I have to choose again the Mozilla account folder with the (many!) mailboxes I want to insert.
Best is dat Pocomail rember that you are importing Thunderbird messages from a specific folder.

The mailboxes are inserted in the "root" of the mail directory.
I guess it should be nice if you are on a email folder (from an account) with the mailboxes from that account in it, that imported messages should saved directly in this subfolder.
I have to move it every time after import.

If I move messages from one in box to another, the messages wil be moved in Pocomail, buth on the harddisk the mailbox size told me that the messages still exist in the old inbox (MBX) file...
When they will move physical to the new inbox (MBX) file and can I delete the old inbox file?

How do I manage that I can have different account folders, with "Inbox" on top of the folder and with the RIGHT graphic icons for an inbox?
How to get a real "Trash" and "Draft" folder for each account (with the right graphic icons).

Are there solutions to do something? :roll:

Its a lot of work, and maybe this is an idea for improvement for next versions of Pocomail (and Barca).
Leo Berkhout
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:50 am

Leo Berkhout wrote:I have in Mozilla Thunderbird a lot of mailboxes.
And they exist in subfolders from different accounts.
I can't automatic import messages from default mail boxes.
I have to do this manual with Import Messages within Pocomail 4.0.
As posted above you can do it almost automatically.
Just rename the *.MBOX to *.MBX and copy/move those mailboxes to Poco's Mail directory.
:!: Make sure Poco's closed and restart afterwards so they all get reindexed.
If I move messages from one in box to another, the messages wil be moved in Pocomail, buth on the harddisk the mailbox size told me that the messages still exist in the old inbox (MBX) file...
When they will move physical to the new inbox (MBX) file and can I delete the old inbox file?
Yes, they still exist because you didn't compress that folder.
On your HD you may remove all reference to that InBox, because on restart it will be recreated, although a compress should take care of it. :)
How do I manage that I can have different account folders, with "Inbox" on top of the folder and with the RIGHT graphic icons for an inbox?
How to get a real "Trash" and "Draft" folder for each account (with the right graphic icons). Are there solutions to do something? :roll:
You can only have one Draft and one Trash.
You can however create another InBox and OutBox.
Afterwards open your account > Folders and specify your In & Out.
Its a lot of work, and maybe this is an idea for improvement for next versions of Pocomail (and Barca).
It's improving with every new build, but as posted above Draft & Trash are hardcoded, so you can only have one.
Besides I like it this way too. :wink:
Eric

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To