[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Viewing foreign language characters

Viewing foreign language characters

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Viewing foreign language characters

Postby SeaGuy » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:48 am

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to setup PocoMail to view foreign language characters?

I get many e-mails with addresses in Chinese and Japanese, and occasionally Russian, Thai and Arabic. When I view these particular emails with Outlook or Eudora, the characters are automatically displayed in their native languages. I can just select them and copy to another program to make an address label. However in PocoMail, these characters are never displayed in their native format. It's just a mess of random ASCII characters.

Is it possible for me to configure PocoMail to display these foreign language characters? I've searched this forum and did not find any topics for this problem.

Thanks very much!

SeaGuy
SeaGuy
New Arrival

Postby tallcangal » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:35 pm

In order for PM to do this, it needs to have unicode support.

Unfortunately, at this time, PM doesn't support it as most clients don't as well...and for those that do, a lot of them are not very good.

PM will eventually have unicode support. When though? Good question. Time will tell. Not for awhile though.
tallcangal
Frequent Visitor

Postby frazmi » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:35 pm

Here's a simple workaround (which I just twigged to a few days ago) that may tide you over until (eventually) Poco handles double-byte characters.

Use the "Load Raw Message Into Browser" script by Michael Motek, except put the path of Microsoft Word in the external variable (instead of Explorer or Mozilla).

Assign the script to a button, and then all you have to do to see the message in any font supported by Word is to select the message, and click the button.

I like this better than using IE (which displays the fonts OK) since I can reformat and print the message easily.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:25 am

That's a neat workaround frazmi !!
robin

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:12 am

Not trying to rain on Frazmi's parade, but for the sake of our 'not so technical users'...

Viewing Unicode/Double Byte/Eastern European/Asian Characters in PocoMail and Barca

PocoMail and Barca provide mechanism for viewing Unicode characters as follows:

1. Place the script file ‘View Message in Word’ into the PocoMail’s/Barca’s script directory. If you do not have Microsoft Word on your computer use, the script ‘View Message in Browser’
2. In PocoMail, navigate to Tools > Scripts
a. Click on ‘Buttons’. Click on the drop-down arrow on one of the available buttons, and select the ‘View in Word’ script.
b. Click on the ‘Close’ button when done.
3. Navigate to Tools > Customize
a. Under ‘Available toolbar buttons’, select ‘PocoScript Section’
b. Click on the ‘Add’ button to add the script icon to the toolbar
c. Click ‘Ok’ when done. You should see a numbered icon on your toolbar.

To view a particular message, select the message, then click on the button corresponding to the ‘View Message in Word’ script. PocoMail/Barca will open the selected message in Word. Keep in mind that this is a temporary solution pending the full implementation of Unicode support into PocoMail/Barca.
Jim

Postby Pete » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:43 am

Great idea, frazmi!
Pete

Postby frazmi » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:41 am

Jim said
Not trying to rain on Frazmi's parade ...

No rain! Thanks for providing the details.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby SeaGuy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:44 pm

frazmi wrote:Use the "Load Raw Message Into Browser" script by Michael Motek, except put the path of Microsoft Word in the external variable (instead of Explorer or Mozilla).

Thanks very much for the suggestion, but I don't know where to find this script. Do I download it from some other site and install it into PocoMail? I already checked the scripts already available in PocoMail, and there are two that seem a little similar to what you are suggesting: "Display Raw Message" and "View in Browser". Is "Load Raw Message Into Browser" a combination of both of these that I would need to create myself? Also, what is an external variable? When I looked in both script files, I didn't see anything specifically labeled "external variable".

Thank you again.
SeaGuy
New Arrival

Postby SeaGuy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:50 pm

Jim wrote:1. Place the script file ‘View Message in Word’ into the PocoMail’s/Barca’s script directory. If you do not have Microsoft Word on your computer use, the script ‘View Message in Browser’

Thank you for your reply and instructions as well Jim. As you can see in my reply to frazmi, I'm a good candidate for the 'not so technical user'.

In my PocoMail, there is no script called "View Message in Word". Just would like to know if this is a script in a new version of PocoMail, something I need to obtain from a third party, or is it something I need to write myself and name "View Message in Word".

It's all quite bewildering to me... :?
SeaGuy
New Arrival

Postby frazmi » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:10 pm

Sorry! You can find the script on the Poco Systems site, in the scripts section. The following link will get you there:

Poco Script Section

Look for the file viewinbrowser.poc . Download the file, and save it in your Poco Scripts directory. Note: There's only one script on the Poco site -- you can rename it to be either View in Browser or View in Word.

You may need to log in, and you will need to enter your license code to download the script.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby interfaSys » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:06 am

tallcangal wrote:[...] as most clients don't as well...and for those that do, a lot of them are not very good.[...]

Where did you get that idea???
Outlook, Outlook Express, Evolution, Kmail, Sylpheed, Thunderbird and probably others.

Pocomail is probably the last one not to have Unicode support.

The reading method is fine when you rarely get one of those, but once you start to have an email conversation, it's a nightmare (replies get messed up).
interfaSys
Poco Tourist

Postby m8ga-pt16 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:43 pm

interfaSys wrote:Outlook, Outlook Express, Evolution, Kmail, Sylpheed, Thunderbird and probably others.

The reading method is fine when you rarely get one of those, but once you start to have an email conversation, it's a nightmare (replies get messed up).

Big time! Any hope on the horizon here? This is a virtual deal breaker. Welcome to the wired world, use a client that cant talk to more than 25% of the people?! When will THIS be fixed?
m8ga-pt16
Drop-in Visitor

Postby interfaSys » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:32 am

I switched some accounts (private) to Thunderbird and most of the business ones to Kmail. UTF8 in Pocomail is two years overdue. Other email clients have most Pocomail features (pocoscript may be missing) and manage Imap folders in a much better way.
interfaSys
Poco Tourist

Follow Up

Postby m8ga-pt16 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:38 am

interfaSys wrote:
tallcangal wrote:[...] as most clients don't as well...and for those that do, a lot of them are not very good.[...]

Where did you get that idea???
Outlook, Outlook Express, Evolution, Kmail, Sylpheed, Thunderbird and probably others.

Outlook, Outlook Express, Evolution, Kmail, Sylpheed, Thunderbird
Thunderbird and most of the business ones to Kmail ...Please include Chinese support soon.
m8ga-pt16
Drop-in Visitor

Chinese Characters

Postby m8ga-pt16 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:07 am

Outlook just crashed on us AGAIN!! Please include support for Chinese characters. We love BARCA!
m8ga-pt16
Drop-in Visitor

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To