[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Here's how to FIX the nVidia driver / nView crash bug! :)

Here's how to FIX the nVidia driver / nView crash bug! :)

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Here's how to FIX the nVidia driver / nView crash bug! :)

Postby dougreding » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:05 pm

I hope the mods will sticky this post. I don't know if this will work for everyone, but it solved my problem and I haven't heard anyone say this *didn't* work for them. ;)

This fix applies only to those with nVidia graphics cards. Some nVidia users find that PocoMail freezes up on them, seemingly at random. Some users have reported the problem resolves itself if the user reverts to an older driver version, which for many of us (gamers mostly) this is not an option we can use. Fortunately, the problem does NOT seem to be with the drivers or driver version. It seems to lie ENTIRELY with nView, an application that is installed with nVidia Detonator Drivers. PocoMail and nView do not get along for some reason. All that is required is that nView be *COMPLETELY* disabled for PocoMail. This does not change anything that I can see, other than eliminating the bug.

I had been told to disable nView originally, and I thought I had done this. Occassionally, when PocoMail would crash, nView would step in and say "do you want to disable nView for this application?" Of course, I chose "yes" and yet the problem continued. So, I assumed there was something else going on. However, answering yes I discovered later only *partially* disables nView for PocoMail! I discovered this after researching nView a bit more and opening it up, saw that PocoMail was only partially disabled.

Disabling nView for PocoMail is easy and requires only a few quick steps. To do this, all you have to do is:

1) Go into the Control Panel and open "NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager."

2) Click on the "applications" tab.

3) Add PocoMail to the list of applications using custom nView Desktop Manger settings if it isn't already there.

4) Here is the important step: make CERTAIN that you highlight PocoMail and click on "disable". When you click "disable" you are given a list of check box options. The master option is "Enable nView Desktop Manager for this application and/or window class." Remove the check from that box and choose "OK".

5) Now, in the list of applications in nView (will probably only show PocoMail, unless you have previously disabled other applications) PocoMail (will probably be labeled only as "poco") will have a large red "X" to the left of the application name. If this is the case, you're almost done. If it doesn't show the large red "X", highlight PocoMail and hit "disable" again and repeat step 4 until you end up with the large red "X" (which means the program is totally disabled in nView)

5) Click "Apply" then "OK".

This fix worked for me and I am using the latest nVidia drivers, have nView enabled and am running 3 monitors / 2 video cards on the same machine. If my system with 2 video cards and 3 monitors can be stable I think *most* systems will be.

I should note that the option to completely disable nView entirely did *NOT* work for me. The only thing that fixed the problem was leaving nView enabled, but completely disabling PocoMail inside of it as outlined above.
dougreding
Drop-in Visitor

Postby ShyWriter » Tue May 10, 2005 1:05 am

I've been using various PocoMail versions and nVidia (various drivers including latest) without no CPU usage problems. (And I'm not using nVidia desktop manager as well) Then again, I'm running an old, CPU module 1.4G plugin on a 5-6 year old DELL system which is considered a VERY *slow* machine these days. It *may* be a timing issue on much faster, tweaked, gaming machines. My 2 cents...

Shy
Feel free to add 781 posts to the number of posts shown by my avatar.. ;)
ShyWriter
Poco Tourist

Postby dribnus » Tue May 10, 2005 9:41 am

I have done these steps and I'm running the lastest version of both. It seems to have helped with A/V errors, but not the memory usage problem that I'm having. I have noticed a new A/V error popping up....I don't know that's it related to PM or not, but it's called CFILL. Has anyone heard of this program or term before?
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby ShyWriter » Tue May 10, 2005 5:03 pm

dribnus wrote:.I don't know that's it related to PM or not, but it's called CFILL. Has anyone heard of this program or term before?

ios::fill

char fill( char cFill );

char fill() const;

Return Value

The first overloaded function sets the streams internal fill character variable to cFill and returns the previous value. The default fill character is a space.

The second fill function returns the streams fill character.

Parameter

cFill

The new fill character to be used as padding between fields.

ios Overview | Abstract Stream Base Class

See Also ios setfill manipulator
Feel free to add 781 posts to the number of posts shown by my avatar.. ;)
ShyWriter
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To