[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - HTML Layout during replies, forward, and bounce

HTML Layout during replies, forward, and bounce

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

HTML Layout during replies, forward, and bounce

Postby prestonbow » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:57 am

When I reply, forward or bounce an HTML email (like a newsletter), the email remains an HTML-styled email, but the formatting is completely lost. See examples here:

This is what the email looks like coming into my inbox:
http://www.smartvisit.com/images/incoming_html_email.jpg

And this is what it looks like after clicking Reply, Forward or Bounce:
http://www.smartvisit.com/images/forwarded_html_email.jpg

I'd love to get this figured out. As a beta tester going back to the early days of Poco, this is one of my last lingering frustrations which I've never taken the time to post about! Hopefully someone has the quick-fix!

Thanks!
Preston
PocoMail 4.1.0.3585
prestonbow
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Robert_Charlton » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:17 am

Hi Preston - You are not alone.... I've never been able to get it right either. I've tried every combination of preferences I could find.
Robert_Charlton
Frequent Visitor

Postby ferent » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:56 pm

Yes, if pocomail/barca can read it, why can´t reply?
Alfredo Fernandez
ferent
Resident Poster

Postby Dutchman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:43 am

Dutchman
Drop-in Visitor

Postby prestonbow » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:51 am

I should also point out, before someone points it out to me :D that "Forward as Attachment" does preserve the layout. Not the preferred way of doing it for me though.
Preston
PocoMail 4.1.0.3585
prestonbow
Drop-in Visitor

HTML Layout Lost on Reply, Forward, Bounce

Postby david2 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:55 am

I usually send plain-format email, except when I report spoof/fraud email. I want to forward that email exactly as I received it, without any HTML changes, and not as an attachment. How can I conveniently do that using PocoMail 3.3.0.2100?

The following is from http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-spoof.html:

Report Suspicious Email to eBay
To report email requesting account information that you suspect was not sent by eBay, send us the email with the complete message text and full header or forward the entire message to spoof(AT)ebay.com using the forward function of your email program. When forwarding the message, do not change the subject line, send additional text, or forward the message as an attachment. Forwarding the message in this manner will allow us to review the message headers and any other information that may be attached to the email.

Email address edited by Eric to prevent spambots from harvesting it. We do not recommend posting live email links here. Thanks in advance. :wink:
david2
Drop-in Visitor

Re: HTML Layout Lost on Reply, Forward, Bounce

Postby Andreas » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:37 am

david2 wrote:Report Suspicious Email to eBay
To report email requesting account information that you suspect was not sent by eBay, send us the email with the complete message text and full header or forward the entire message to spoof(AT)ebay.com using the forward function of your email program. When forwarding the message, do not change the subject line, send additional text, or forward the message as an attachment. Forwarding the message in this manner will allow us to review the message headers and any other information that may be attached to the email.

I don't understand this. When forwarding a message as an attachment, the original headers will stay intact. When forwarding a message the "normal" way, the original headers will get lost. So why don't they want the message as an attachment?
Andreas
Poco Enthusiast

HTML Layout Lost on Copy/Cut/Paste

Postby van » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:08 am

I am a new user to PocoMail 3, and one feature I miss -- so strongly that I am inclined to regard its lack more as a bug -- is the ability to cut and paste from one e-mail into another -- and *NOT* lose the formatting along the way! I am assuming this is related to the forum topic I see here: "HTML Layout Lost on Reply, Forward, Bounce".

I have looked through all of the options and customizations, and through your FAQs and Forums. Is everyone else experiencing this same problem? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks --
Van Wanless
van
New Arrival

Postby finalcut » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:37 am

this is a problem pocomail had for years and years
finalcut
Poco Tourist

Re: HTML Layout Lost on Copy/Cut/Paste

Postby Alpha » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:08 am

van wrote:I am a new user to PocoMail 3, and one feature I miss -- so strongly that I am inclined to regard its lack more as a bug -- is the ability to cut and paste from one e-mail into another -- and *NOT* lose the formatting along the way! I am assuming this is related to the forum topic I see here: "HTML Layout Lost on Reply, Forward, Bounce".

I have looked through all of the options and customizations, and through your FAQs and Forums. Is everyone else experiencing this same problem? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks --
Van Wanless

Van, welcome to PocoForum. The problem you described is not the same as the above topic. To start with, you should ignore irrelevant and unhelpful comment like the one by finalcut above. As in all forums, you will find a few people here that offer no help but either attacks others (including Poco Systems) or make a negative and unsubstantiated claims. Please ignore them. There are plenty of people on the forum that will help you.

HTML format is kept on bounce, but to preserve it during replies and forwards you need to make two changes in options (Tools > Options > Quoting text) settings: (1) Uncheck the 'Insert quote-characters during reply/forward (2)Uncheck the 'Wrap quoted text after (characters).

Please provide more information about the problem you are having with copying and pasting (perhaps an example). You can also search the forum to see if the problem has been addressed on another thread.
Alpha

Postby Robert_Charlton » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:28 pm

Alpha - I'm very pleased to see someone from Poco systems answering some of these questions. PocoMail is a wonderful product, which is why many of us stay with it, but its many features and interface are very poorly documented, as are its glitches, so we're often just left guessing. It wastes a lot of everybody's time.

Alpha wrote:HTML format is kept on bounce

If I wanted to forward an html message to someone and preserve formatting and have my name show up as the sender, how would I do this?
Robert_Charlton
Frequent Visitor

Postby J-Mac » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:13 pm

This topic has been about beat to death, Robert!

You can usually forward a message inline and keep it relatively intact by changing the quote options mentioned by Alpha. I say "usually" however because in some instances it still doesn't render properly to the receiver of the message. I haven't figured out if that is due to their email client, or if it is specific to messages sent with certain unique characteristics. The problem with this, at least for me, is that sometimes I want to be able to include the quote characters to preserve the differentiation. Of course you can keep changing it back and forth, but that's not an easy answer.

This feature, issue, or whatever you want to call it has been around for awhile, but I have read posts by some who claim that this is part of the security that Pocomail offers - with Outlook and other clients that allow any and all HTML, that's the source of most of their security lapses. So...accept it for what it is: part of why Pocomail is considered more secure than many email applications. Always a price to pay! A future enhancement opportunity would be to allow the quote characters and wrapping to be toggled on and off with a click in the contect menu or in the top bar where threading is toggled, instead of entering Options each time and doing it that way. Maybe PM 4?
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Postby Robert_Charlton » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:30 pm

J-Mac wrote:This topic has been about beat to death, Robert!

J-Mac - I must be a slow learner. :wink: Alpha's message didn't apply to me. I never use the quote characters or quoted text wrap... I don't like them... and I've never, in the several years now that I've been using Poco, to be able to forward an html message. This is the first time I've ever posted about it.

J-Mac wrote:So...accept it for what it is: part of why Pocomail is considered more secure than many email applications.

I don't understand what you mean about security. I'm receiving the html just fine. But it doesn't forward at all. How is this protecting me?
Robert_Charlton
Frequent Visitor

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:53 am

Robert_Charlton wrote:
If I wanted to forward an html message to someone and preserve formatting and have my name show up as the sender, how would I do this?

What do you mean by "have my name show up as sender"? By default, if you forward a message, the name/email of the original recipient is the default data in the FROM field. You can also change it.
Alpha

Postby J-Mac » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:00 am

I think he means this is why he prefers not to use the Bounce feature.
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To