[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Error [10054] Connection reset by peer

Error [10054] Connection reset by peer

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Error [10054] Connection reset by peer

Postby wortgames » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:25 pm

Hi, can anyone shed some light?

I am trying to send email using an account that I haven't sent from in a while. I have definitely reinstalled poco since the last time I sent mail from that account, so I may have some wrong settings but they look OK as I remember them.

I receive from this account regularly, and used to be able to send from it OK before the reinstall. I am also using a different ISP now - that could be the problem - this account is with my old dial-up ISP (still active) but I am accessing the net via my new broadband ISP. Would I need to change anything?

Any suggestions gratefully received!
wortgames
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:41 pm

It could be due to incorrect settings, see this topic with Avast setup and spam blocker.

or
What is winsock error 10054?

Answer:
WSAECONNRESET (10054) Connection reset by peer.

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This normally results if the peer application on the remote host is suddenly stopped, the host is rebooted, or the remote host used a "hard close".

I hope it can help. :wink:
Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:44 pm

Here's some more info:
Socket error (#10054): Connection reset by peer.

Analyse & Solutions: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This normally results if the peer application on the remote host is suddenly stopped, the host is rebooted, the host or remote network interface is disabled, or the remote host uses a hard close (see setsockopt for more information on the SO_LINGER option on the remote socket). This error may also result if a connection was broken due to keep-alive activity detecting a failure while one or more operations are in progress. Operations that were in progress fail with WSAENETRESET. Subsequent operations fail with WSAECONNRESET.

I love Google. :lol:
Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:49 pm

And another:
Solution:
Error 10054 is a winsock error for connection reset. You can find the
list of winsock errors in the winsock.h file.

Since the database Server is up and running at the time of the problem,
it's an indication that it's not an InterBase issue but rather a network
issue. Check the following:

* At the time of the problem, what's the traffic load? Check for
traffic loads that can flood the network. Is there anything scheduled
to flood the network at certain time?

* Check for network hardware problems such as bad switch, router,
hub, etc.

* Another possible scenario involves having more than one protocol
bound to the same network card. In one case a customer had TCP/IP,
IPX/SPX, and RIP for IPX bound to the same ethernet card. When he
unbound IPX/SPX and RIP for IPX from the card, the errors disappeared.
Eric

Re: Error [10054] Connection reset by peer

Postby robin » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:51 pm

wortgames wrote:I am trying to send email using an account that I haven't sent from in a while....

I receive from this account regularly, and used to be able to send from it OK before the reinstall. I am also using a different ISP now - that could be the problem - this account is with my old dial-up ISP (still active) but I am accessing the net via my new broadband ISP. Would I need to change anything?
The answer may lie in your statement that you have changed ISPs. While you can get your mail using any ISP, most ISPs only provide outgoing mail server (SMTP) for users on their network. If you are still trying to use the outgoing mail server for your old ISP their system may not accept the connection.

You should check and make sure that your default outgoing mail server is the one provided by your current ISP.

However this scenario would usually generate a different error: "unable to relay mail" or similar so I may be off target with this, but that's where I'd start.
robin

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To