[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - MailTo: Command

MailTo: Command

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

MailTo: Command

Postby dribnus » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:32 am

I think I have screwed something up by trying to fix something else. When I click on a 'mailto:' command on a website, it opens about 25 blank windows of IE. It used to open Poco and insert the address properly, so I know it's not the program. I have reinstalled Pocomail, and I'm running XP.
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:41 am

Take a look at this topic to see if that helps, as well as this one.

I hope this can solve your problem with IE. :wink:
Eric

Postby dribnus » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:52 am

I guess I should have told you, I did try those things already. Nothing yet. Also, I am running Netscape 7.2 w/o the email client. If I right click on an email link, then copy/past, it works fine. I think it may have something to do with the 'file types' under folder settings in XP. There is no URL:MailTo Protocol. If one needs to be setup, I'm not sure what info I need for it.
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:55 am

dribnus wrote:There is no URL:MailTo Protocol. If one needs to be setup, I'm not sure what info I need for it.
Sorry for the long wait, but I was experiencing the same thing. Must be happening by installing all those betas. :?
Now it works however.
I deleted first the EML extension in Windows Explorer and recreated it by assigning it to Poco.
Next I opened IE and assigned Poco as default email client under Extra | Internet Options | Programs and closed IE.
Started Poco to make it default again.

Restarted IE and clicked on a mailto: and it worked. :D

I hope it works for you. :wink:

Edit: a little test -> test@isp.com
Eric

Postby dribnus » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:32 am

Ok, the EML is now "PocoMail E-mail Message". The 'Default...' tab in PM has been selected, and in Internet Options, Poco Mail is the default mailer. I still get the same results when I click on an email address. It happens in IE and Netscape. I do notice that I still don't have this command in the 'File Types'. It seems like I should. Could you check to see if you have it, and if so, what the settings are?
Thanx for your help.

URL:mailto Protocol

It would listed with these:
URL:RLogin Protocol
URL:News Protocol
URL: CallTo Protocol
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:20 am

Geen = None

I hope it can help. :wink:
Eric

Postby dribnus » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:17 am

Ok....that's what I need, but would you mind doing a screen shot of the details from the 'Mailto Protocol? I don't know the syntax for setting it up with PM. I thought maybe PM would restore that when I reinstalled, but it didn't. Right now I don't even have that Protocol listed.
Thanx again.
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:25 am

dribnus wrote:Ok....that's what I need, but would you mind doing a screen shot of the details from the 'Mailto Protocol? I don't know the syntax for setting it up with PM. I thought maybe PM would restore that when I reinstalled, but it didn't. Right now I don't even have that Protocol listed.
Here you go. :wink:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:32 am

And here's the rest. :)

Eric

Postby dribnus » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:20 am

Eric, Thank you for going thru the trouble to do that.
I think I have the MailTo Protocol correct, and the handling of the EML files are assoc. with Pocomail. However; when I still click on a 'mailto' link, it opens about 50 blank IE windows, and IE isn't even the default broweser. I'm not sure what has happened to my system. Anymore ideas?
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Kaigan » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:09 am

dribnus wrote:Eric, Thank you for going thru the trouble to do that.
I think I have the MailTo Protocol correct, and the handling of the EML files are assoc. with Pocomail. However; when I still click on a 'mailto' link, it opens about 50 blank IE windows, and IE isn't even the default broweser. I'm not sure what has happened to my system. Anymore ideas?

I had a similar problem with Opera. When I tried a mailto link in either IE or Firefox a blank window would open in Opera and no new email window in Barca. If I shutdown Opera it would open the new email in Barca from either IE or Firefox. Mailto links always worked properly in Opera. Making IE or Firefox default would not help. Finally tracked it down to the Mailto protocol and having Opera in the application window for running it as a "DDE command". Changing the application in a DDE command to Barca gave me the "Email client not properly installed" error in IE, but would still open a new email. Changed the type to "Run an application" and it now works properly in all browsers.

Peter

Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Postby dribnus » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:38 am

Thank you for the addt'l info. I'm not sure what I did differently, because your screeshots were different than mine. Maybe yours was Win 98, not sure. But, I did adjust some things that look close to yours, and WOW, it works again. I don't think I'll try to install other email programs for a while. Thanx for your help guys.
dribnus
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Kaigan » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:57 am

dribnus wrote:Thank you for the addt'l info. I'm not sure what I did differently, because your screeshots were different than mine. Maybe yours was Win 98, not sure. But, I did adjust some things that look close to yours, and WOW, it works again. I don't think I'll try to install other email programs for a while. Thanx for your help guys.

Running Win XP home. That's Directory Opus 8 in the pic, a file manager replacement for explorer. For normal explorer, just uncheck use DDE.

Peter
Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:16 am

dribnus wrote:I don't think I'll try to install other email programs for a while. .
That's why it was not working on my system as well. All those betas must have mixed it up.
Thanx for your help guys
Glad you got it working again. Thanks Peter for giving a helping hand. :D
Eric

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To