[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Palm Sync... who else is waiting?

Palm Sync... who else is waiting?

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Palm Sync... who else is waiting?

Postby helloharry » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:47 am

Hello Devopment Team,

First of all a Happy New Year.

With this new year arising and also just having a recent update after the official release of Barca I was again wondering if there are any intentions to develop PalmSync to a state that e.g. Tungsten models are able to sync.
I believe that I am speaking for many Barca users if I say that we have waited a long time patiently for any news on this issue.
I like Barca a lot but honestly I have to let you know that I need the sync capability more and more. If Barca will not soon be able to do this I will change to Outlook. Since there are meanwhile possibilities to run even Outlook from a mobile USB stick I am not necessarily bound to Barca.

Please let us know what the status is on the PalmSync is and I hope that we will read the good news that we have a possibility to sync our Palms soon.

Thanks for reading this thread and I encourage everyone who is interested in the PalmSync feature to drop a line here so that the development team gets an idea how important this feature is for us.

Martin
Last edited by helloharry on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helloharry
Poco Tourist

Postby douglas » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:16 am

Martin, like you I have waited patiently for a promised PPC synch conduit. It must now be about a year since is was suggested by Poco that it was in the pipeline to follow the Palm synch capability, but as we are seeing more and more, this seems to get further away rather than closer. Sadly, I have had to return to Outlook, because it has this very important feature. IF Barca could synch to my PPC, I would return to it in a flash, but until such time, all I can do is monitor these fora in the hope that one day Barca will catch up and at that time I will be able to make a decision about returning to it. Of course, Outlook does improve and add features, and it may be that Barca will end up too far behind to catch up. I do not say this as an anti Poco, or as an anti Microsoft statement, but I hope not. I use whatever tool can function the way I need first, and then look at the extra goodies after. Currently I still think Barca is the better in almost all respects, apart from the synch, and sadly, this is one of the main things I need, as I spend my day on the road and have to carry my calendar and contacts (not so much my email) with me.
Ron Douglas
douglas
Poco Tourist

Palm Sync

Postby spsdds » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:11 am

I too am waiting for Barca to include Palm Sync capabilities. I believe it's a great email program, but until some type of sync capability is added I must resort to Outlook.

Steve
spsdds
New Arrival

Postby maverick » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:55 am

I'd also like to know an ETA for the Palm Sync. I'm getting a palm phone (newest Treo) and will be traveling a LOT. So, a sync to it is MANDATORY or I'd have to go with outlook. Slaven: Please let us know when to expect it. Thanks very much!
maverick
Poco Tourist

Postby Mitch Wagner » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:57 am

Me four.

I currently use PocoMail with Agendus. I'd like to be able to use Barca so that I can maintain only one address book, instead of two.
Mitch Wagner
Poco Tourist

Postby maverick » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:10 pm

I just need contacts and phone numbers to be in sync for the time being. Is there an easy way to do this with export/import via csv perhaps?

I dont need calendar, notes, etc... but DO need names, phones, and email addresses in sync. I can perform a few simple steps every other day or so to keep things reasonably in sync. (until the real thing comes along).

Please let me know (anyone) if there is a way to do this.

Thanks!
maverick
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:27 am

Hi Maverick,
maverick wrote:I just need contacts and phone numbers to be in sync for the time being. Is there an easy way to do this with export/import via csv perhaps?
Your address books (ini-files) are already in CSV or you can use the built-in export feature for converting to LDIF, CSV or HTML.

:!: Don't know how you're going to keep it in sync, but it's best to make Barca your master and the other program your slave or vice versa.

Maybe the Order of fields in the address book can help you too.

As for an ETA for the Palm sync, I really don't have a clue. :?

FYI: I hope you won't have the same problem with your Treo as me for syncing my address books,
which Palm Desktop doesn't support at present.
It only crashes when I try to sync, so I'm waiting for a fix from PalmOne. :roll:

Used to use JackFlash & JackSprat too, but not anymore due to this answer I received from Braider's Support:
We will not be able to support the E2 due to its memory architecture, which is the same as the T5 & Treo 650.
Eric

Postby RabbenuTom » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:33 am

Bonjour,

I too will put in my two cents and vote for the development team getting back to the palm sync project (and I volunteer to be a tester, if need be)

For the record, I have actually bought Barca with the hopes that a palm sync for my Treo would be just around the corner. I guess as are as that goes that "I can feel good" that my money is helping further develop Poco system products, but the reality is that I have not even installed the latest Barca version that I downloaded!

It is too much of a bother to keep up-to-date two or more addressbooks between a PIM and email program. For now, I am staying with Outlook and reviewing my impulse buying spending habits :oops:
RabbenuTom
Poco Tourist

Postby helloharry » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:49 am

Wow! I am indeed very impressed how little response this thread received. Are there really only a handful of people who are interested in the syncing capability of Barca??????????
Sure, that would easily explain that the Poco developers show no further effort in this direction.
Well, I guess it is sad to say especially since I purchased Barca in good hope, but obviosly there is nothing happening anymore...

Good Bye Barca!!!!!

"Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt" (German saying)
helloharry
Poco Tourist

Postby RBernier » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:49 am

I have been waiting for a Pocket PC sync capability. Quite frankly, I have given up any hope of this happening. I have however found an excellent way around having to sync my calendar and contacts with Outlook. I now sync my Pocket PC with Yahoo Calendar and Address Book.

I will be a little happier if PSI can find a solution for Barca repeatedly loosing my IMAP folders and/or constantly crashing.

Regards
Ron Bernier
RBernier
Resident Poster

Postby maverick » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:03 am

Why do you use IMAP, just curious. I have no crashes, or issues at all and I use Barca a great deal, with large volumes of email. But I also use XP and have a very stable system in general.
maverick
Poco Tourist

Postby Mitch Wagner » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:06 am

To be fair to Poco here: I don't believe they ever said they were going to update the synch capability to be compatible with the latest version of Barca. I'm pretty sure that, elsewhere in this forum, they were pretty clear that they're not seeing much demand for it.

It's not a good idea to buy software now based on a vendor's promise of what they're going to add to it in the future. And it's an *especially* bad idea to buy when the vendor has made no promises.

I've made that mistake myself and I've learned from it.

Right now, I'm reasonably content using PocoMail as my mailer and Agendus as my contact manager and calendar. I don't like maintaining two address books, with all the redundancy inherent within, but I can live with it. If somebody comes along with a better option, I'll take it, until then, I'm sticking with PocoMail.

And I'm not giving up hope that Poco will surprise me and decide to update the sync utility after all.
Mitch Wagner
Poco Tourist

Postby bareges » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:16 am

I had licences for both Barca and Poco ( fo a considerable time) but have only upgraded to Poco 4 as Barca without the ability to sync to my palm simply adds another layer with an awkward if not irritating workaround required to achieve what others can do at the touch of a button........I am sorry to say that I no longer use Barca, it has been uninstalled pending full synch capabilites with Palm.

"They also serve those who only stand and wait"
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Postby RBernier » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:20 am

maverick wrote:Why do you use IMAP, just curious. I have no crashes, or issues at all and I use Barca a great deal, with large volumes of email. But I also use XP and have a very stable system in general.

Just a matter of personal preference. I like being able to read my mail from any location and with any email reader. Also, you can leave received messages on the server with a POP account, but you cannot "store" sent messages on the server to have access available from any location.

I feel IMAP just adds much more conveinence over a POP account.

I also use Windows XP with all the latest service packs and patches. Barca is the only program that has frequent crashes. Also, as I mentioned, my IMAP folders constantly disappear and the only way to get them back is to close then reopen Barca.

I have mentioned this problem on the Beta forum also, but received absolutely no response even from Slaven.

That said, I still think Barca is a very good program. It is just too unstable for me to use it as my primary mail client.
Ron Bernier
RBernier
Resident Poster

Postby maverick » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:43 pm

RBernier wrote:I feel IMAP just adds much more conveinence over a POP account.

If IMAP is giving you that much trouble, I'd consider sticking with POP instead. I suppose you have to weigh the advantages (some convenience) vs. the disadvantages (instability).
maverick
Poco Tourist

Next

Return to Barca Help and How-To