[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Is there such thing as mail recovery?

Is there such thing as mail recovery?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Is there such thing as mail recovery?

Postby ems » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:08 pm

As I was opening my mail yesterday (and half asleep), I noticed my Windows trash needed emptying. What I think happened was that I trashed my account with all my mail and folders. Is it lost forever?
ems
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:30 pm

Hi ems & welcome to Poco forums, :D
ems wrote:Is it lost forever?
How did your Mail directory end up in your Trash?

Perhaps it's possible to recover some of it by using an undelete program, although I'm not sure it will work.

Best would be to restore from a backup, if you've one.
If not, then I fear for the worst that you've lost this data. :cry:

Maybe someone else does have some better suggestions. :wink:
Eric

Lost forever?

Postby ems » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:48 pm

I wasn't fully awake when the message came up about the trash. I assumed it was the usual Windows note, when in fact, it was probably the Pocomail message. The ol' trigger finger.

Thanks for the info. I'll give an undelete program a try, but I won't get my hopes up.

My address list still seems to be in a folder. If I set up a new account and start all over, can I retrieve my addresses?
ems
New Arrival

Re: Lost forever?

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:48 am

ems wrote:I wasn't fully awake when the message came up about the trash. I assumed it was the usual Windows note, when in fact, it was probably the Pocomail message. The ol' trigger finger.
Don't quite understand that :?:
Does it mean you delete messages from the PocoMail Trash, because if you did, there's another way to get those messages back. :)
Thanks for the info. I'll give an undelete program a try, but I won't get my hopes up.
You're welcome ems. ;)
My address list still seems to be in a folder. If I set up a new account and start all over, can I retrieve my addresses?
Yes, you could move those address books over to the new Address book directory.
Afterwards just add those through Options > Contacts. :)

Good luck with it. ;)
Eric

Re: Lost forever?

Postby ems » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:46 am

I'm not quite sure what I did! I could have accidentally hit Remove User. How would I check for mail from the PocoMail Trash?

Eric wrote:
ems wrote:I wasn't fully awake when the message came up about the trash. I assumed it was the usual Windows note, when in fact, it was probably the Pocomail message. The ol' trigger finger.
Don't quite understand that :?:
Does it mean you delete messages from the PocoMail Trash, because if you did, there's another way to get those messages back. :)
You're welcome ems. ;)
Yes, you could move those address books over to the new Address book directory.
Afterwards just add those through Options > Contacts. :)

Good luck with it. ;)
ems
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:02 am

As for the Trash, it's Pocomail's mailbox, same as In or Out etc., but Trash is located at the bottom of Pocomail's tree.

As for the rest:

All email is kept in mailbox files even when deleted, but only until the file gets compressed.

Go to the Users directory in your Pocomail installation, if it is empty, than all is lost, and probably only a good undelete program, as Eric suggested, could recover it, when run as soon as possible.

If it was email in your main user account, first thing run to your filemanager, and make a manual backup: copy whole Pocomail folder to some safe location. Next, close Pocomail, for the folders from which you deleted, find files of same name in Mail directory of your Pocomail installation, and for each leave those with .mbx extension but delete those with .idb extension.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To