[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - New hope

New hope

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Re: New hope

Postby DianaZ » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:19 am

Sorry the two of you are having problems with crashing and acting Poco wonky. Only wonkiness here is the occasional access violation when I "mark / CTRL-C" something in an email in order to copy it elsewhere. And even then it does end up in the clipboard so nothing lost. I just have to okay the access violation error message away before proceeding as planned.
Diana in Germany
DianaZ
Poco Tourist

Postby jbuk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:13 am

DianaZ wrote:
I'd love to have the script to do whatever ente (?) mentioned doing in Poco in order to read the few messages Poco can't show me.

Diana in Stuttgart, Germany

Diane, it was me who suggested using a script to view the empty emails in a browser. Its actually built in to PM you just have to activate it. See earlier in the thread for more info.
Perhaps you have tried this already though as my post was a couple of years back if I remember correctly.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby DianaZ » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:13 am

jbuk wrote:
DianaZ wrote:
I'd love to have the script to do whatever ente (?) mentioned doing in Poco in order to read the few messages Poco can't show me.

Diana in Stuttgart, Germany

Diane, it was me who suggested using a script to view the empty emails in a browser. Its actually built in to PM you just have to activate it. See earlier in the thread for more info.
Perhaps you have tried this already though as my post was a couple of years back if I remember correctly.

Aha!! Took a bit of twiddling around but I got it!

Now I can use CTRL+1 to open those blank messages in my browser! Nice and as a keyboarder, easier to use than grabbing the mouse and right-clicking.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Diana in Germany
DianaZ
Poco Tourist

Postby wise » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:21 pm

If all that script does is enable a keyboard shortcut then I think I'll stick with the mouse right-click, just as easy for me but thanks anyway jbuk & I'm glad you got it working Diana.
My issues with PM now are unfortunately numerous with frequent crashing/hanging requiring the 3 finger salute and End Tasking. I have to remember to close & reopen PM regularly to prevent it.
If too long in an open session of PM sub-folders start disappearing from view or taking on identical names. Need to restart PM to restore them. I thought it may be some sort of database corruption but Compressing folders doesn't help.
Could have something to do with the fact that my email database is over 50GB. Yes, I also get the access violation issue often when copy/pasting, it's annoying but as you say still works. Will keep soldiering on and it's wonderful to see there are still a few of us left in this small PM community :)
wise
New Arrival

Postby DianaZ » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 am

wise wrote:If all that script does is enable a keyboard shortcut then I think I'll stick with the mouse right-click, just as easy for me but thanks anyway jbuk & I'm glad you got it working Diana.
My issues with PM now are unfortunately numerous with frequent crashing/hanging requiring the 3 finger salute and End Tasking. I have to remember to close & reopen PM regularly to prevent it.
If too long in an open session of PM sub-folders start disappearing from view or taking on identical names. Need to restart PM to restore them. I thought it may be some sort of database corruption but Compressing folders doesn't help.
Could have something to do with the fact that my email database is over 50GB. Yes, I also get the access violation issue often when copy/pasting, it's annoying but as you say still works. Will keep soldiering on and it's wonderful to see there are still a few of us left in this small PM community :)

Yikes, 50GB!!! Yes, that could very well lead to all kinds of problems. Any way you can sort mails out to make the email database smaller? The Mail directory in my PM here is under 500MB and I thought I had a lot of (old) email! My entire Poco4Data folder with Mail, Attachments, Address book, etc. isn't even close to 1GB. 50GB seems like a monster to work with...

But if you could somehow delete/move enough (old) email out to make the database more manageable, it would at least give you a chance to see if PM doesn't still work without crashes - only alternative is to find something else and then what will you do with all the email now in PM?
Diana in Germany
DianaZ
Poco Tourist

Postby wise » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:09 pm

Yes I know. It's over 10 years of client email history. I need to archive a lot of it off at some point as it is unruly.
I have already contemplated how to migrate my emails to another client and I believe there are two options;
1. Set up an IMAP/Cloud/Exchange account then copy the emails over
2. Save the emails folder by folder as eml's then import them into the new client
As much as I have loved PM, it's outdated & clunky and it's time to move on me thinks - unless by some miracle it gets updated... :o
wise
New Arrival

Postby jbuk » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:02 am

wise wrote:Yes I know. It's over 10 years of client email history. I need to archive a lot of it off at some point as it is unruly.
I have already contemplated how to migrate my emails to another client and I believe there are two options;
1. Set up an IMAP/Cloud/Exchange account then copy the emails over
2. Save the emails folder by folder as eml's then import them into the new client
As much as I have loved PM, it's outdated & clunky and it's time to move on me thinks - unless by some miracle it gets updated... :o

You might find some help/mileage to see my solutions to database size. First, all mail is on an SSD as this speeds things up considerably.Then I use gmail as a backup for all my emails since 2000. To do this I first of all copied all the mail over then had all my emails forwarded to gmail which checks for spam and then forwards a copy to my mail server where I pick it up by POP. 50GB is of course a lot bigger than the 15gb free allowance that Google gives. This provides me a backup and search email archive.
Then I have two versions of PM in use, one the installed working program and the second an offline only archive copy where I annually copy emails and attachments over 5 years old. I do this folder by folder. The purpose of this is to keep the mail database to a manageable size, which your 50gb is obviously not, and still have a local offline searchable archive.
I also have the cache at max size and do not store attachments within the emails although this does make attachment management more difficult than it should be.
I am sure others have found different solutions that achieve similar things but mine just works for me and only involves a bit of work once a year which takes less than 30 minutes.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby Mith » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Just wanna let u know that i still use PM since the year 2000 successfully with 33 pop-accounts!
Mith
Poco Tourist

Postby NZRussell » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:38 pm

Have been using Pocomail since 2003 and still do. I use Barca for most of what I do but Poco for the odds and sods. For me nothing gets close to either program and I detest Thunderbird. I use the colour markings extensively and have seen nothing else to offer anything as good.

I'll be staying with them as long as I use Windows but when I leave W7 there will be no option as I'll move to Linux and I doubt there is any way to make them work in Linux but tha will be some time off yet.

If any of you are having problems this page might help http://www.russharvey.bc.ca/resources/pocomail.html

I had some real problems with Barca some years back and in the I remove it from the system including cleaning out every last trace. When I re-installed it found the backup I'd done so I still had all my messages.
NZRussell
Poco Tourist

Previous

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To