[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Empty Space - Blank Lines [mod: moved]

Empty Space - Blank Lines [mod: moved]

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Empty Space - Blank Lines [mod: moved]

Postby ambkla » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:50 am

PM 3.2

I searched for existing topics (reports) but did not find any regarding the problem described below:

The PM new message creator window does some strange things and I cannot figure out how to bypass or prevent this. When writing or responding to a customer, we create in-house MS Word Docs. The "Why" is not of importance now. Unfortunately, pasting ten or twelve lines of text results often in a 2-page document. The text in PM is one block but after pasting there are 3 or 4 blank lines with nothing but white space between each text line. This needs additional editing and is therefore very annoying.

Does someone know why this happens, what happens or how to prevent it.

Thanks,

Klaus
ambkla
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:20 am

There are a number of threads on this topic, try here for starters. There may also be threads on this in the Barca forum since they share the same e-mail core.
robin

Postby melus » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:50 pm

I'm annoyed with this particular quirk as well. Until Poco Mail can address this problem, I guess the only solution is to send an MS Word doc or pdf doc attachment.
melus
Poco Tourist

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:39 am

One of the beta versions of Poco allowed you to use a different editor. I never tried this and don't know if it is still an option. If it is I would treat the option as beta level at best as I don't think this was thoroughly tested by many beta testers.

I'm not sure how you would turn this feature on. Unless someone else in the forums knows the developer will have to provide details. If you are interested in this and if noone has suggested a way of doing this in the next couple of days please post a reminder here and I'll request the developer post details here.
Michael

Postby janrif » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:00 pm

Michael wrote:One of the beta versions of Poco allowed you to use a different editor. [snip] the developer will have to provide details. If you are interested in this and if noone has suggested a way of doing this in the next couple of days please post a reminder [/snip]

Then, consider this a reminder. :wink: I've stopped using PocoMail until this dbl space issue is resolved. Thanks.
janrif
Ridgefield, CT USA
w2k-sp4
janrif
Resident Poster

Postby Hogyt » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:39 pm

I'm a bit confused, as usual. Using enter in styled messages gives a large space (not a double space) because of the paragraph style but shift-enter inserts a standard line-break. Or is this a different issue? :?
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:22 pm

I think that what you are seeing is similar to web editors like DreamWeaver: enter creates a new paragraph which, depending on the formatting applied, can have quite a large space between them; shift-enter simply puts a new line into the current paragraph.

In html they would look like this:
Code: Select all
<p> press enter </p><p> next paragraph... </p>

<p> press shift-enter <br /> next line.....</p>
robin

Postby Hogyt » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:56 pm

Yes thats what its doing. I only knew that key combo from using Namo. Does this solve what is being asked in this thread?

I think we should have:
  • Documentation of shift-enter in the manual (if it's not already there)
  • An option to switch between the function of enter and shift-enter (possibly with the default of enter inserting a line-break instead of a new paragraph)
  • An improvement to the editor that shows paragraphs
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:50 pm

Hogyt wrote:I think we should have:
  • Documentation of shift-enter in the manual (if it's not already there)
  • An option to switch between the function of enter and shift-enter (possibly with the default of enter inserting a line-break instead of a new paragraph)
  • An improvement to the editor that shows paragraphs
I don't agree with your second point - but enter an enhancement in BugTraction at http://www.pocosystems.com/cgi-bin/bt/bt.cgi
robin

Postby Hogyt » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:10 pm

I should think most users will find it 'normal' that pressing enter moves the cursor to the next line with no extra spacing. If it's an optional change it doesn't matter too much anyway since you can set it how you like ;-)

Bug List - Added #1180
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Pete » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:22 am

I think that the original poster is talking about copying text from an MS Word document and pasting it in PocoMail. Perhaps there's something unusual about the clipboard contents that PocoMail doesn't handle correctly when trying to paste the plain text version of the clipboard contents. This sounds like a problem specifically related to MS Word.

#####################################

In what I think is a separate issue, PocoMail can sometimes cause a message to appear with extra blank lines on a recipient's computer even though it appears fine during composition. For example, see http://pocosystems.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1341

I'll continue my comments there...
Pete

Postby ambkla » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:17 am

Pete wrote:I think that the original poster is talking about copying text from an MS Word document and pasting it in PocoMail. Perhaps there's something unusual about the clipboard contents that PocoMail doesn't handle correctly when trying to paste the plain text version of the clipboard contents. This sounds like a problem specifically related to MS Word.

The original poster was copying PM mail text into MS Word. In this case, the name of the receiving program does not matter as long as it can read HTML files. PM does some "funny" things when writing HTML page code. The easiest and most effective way would be the creation of a
<TABLE>
<TR><TD>e-mail text</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>line 2</TD></TR>
</TABLE>

Then you will have lines without unnecessary spaces between and the table width (text width) will adjust automatically as needed. Color and any style attributes could be asigned to the table once instead of numerous times to each line. Furthermore, PM could then assign a font style to the table. Right now, PM writes the font style for each single line even though the line does not contain any text at all. This results in e-mails with a file size much larger than necessary.

Actual Example:
p class="p"><SPAN style="font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;"> </SPAN></p>
might appear 50 times instead of once.

In addition, PM creates a style class like: "font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt"
for the page body. This normally eliminates the need of repeating the font style command but yet it is done. I don't understand why and the reason behind it but I guess I don't have to because I am quitting using PM because of this and several other reasons. I don't want to give customers the impression that I didn't know what I was doing when writing an e-mail. What looks nice in PM might be "not so nice" using a different e-mail program on the receiving end.

Klaus
ambkla
Poco Tourist

Postby Hogyt » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:45 am

I still don't see any bug in PocoMail. If i create an html file that uses paragraphs and copy it into WordPad (i don't have Word) it gains an extra space between lines, seems like thats just what happens when converting the html to text. Using shift+enter in PocoMail and copying that into WordPad appears to work fine (no extra space introduced).
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby ambkla » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:03 am

Hogyt wrote:I still don't see any bug in PocoMail. If i create an html file that uses paragraphs and copy it into WordPad (i don't have Word) it gains an extra space between lines, seems like thats just what happens when converting the html to text. Using shift+enter in PocoMail and copying that into WordPad appears to work fine (no extra space introduced).

If you are referring to my previous posting, I never said that this is a bug. It's by design and I made some recommendations in regard to applying changes.

Klaus
ambkla
Poco Tourist

Postby Hogyt » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:29 am

Ok, you said you were quitting PM because of this and other reasons so it sounded like you regarded it as a bug if it was bad enough to contribute to you leaving PM. I genuinely hope you find an email client you're happy with! :D

RE: Your comment about styled emails in PocoMail being larger than necessary. I agree with you (i can't stand styled messages personally!) but its certainly no worse than other clients. I created a short 5 word test message in PocoMail, Outlook and The Bat (which admittedly i'm not used to so it may have an option to change its output) and they came in at around 360, 390 and 2120 bytes respectively.

It's worth noting that The Bat also inserts paragraphs when pressing enter (at least by default) which produces the same symptoms with the extra space so PocoMail is not alone with its behaviour.
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To